Sign in to follow this  

ORV's in GP campgrounds

Anybody have any problems camping with their bikes in GP campgrounds like North Fork and Adams Fork. Some sites say that there are no ORV's allowed. Does that mean that you cannot bring them in or that you just cannot ride them into or out of the campground?

I'm not sure what the exact rules are, but I've camped at Adams Fork with dirtbikes and had no problems. We just start them up and prombtly leave then coast back in after a long days ride. Another option is to push the bikes to the campground entrance, start them up then leave. I feel they just don't want you riding around the campground disturbing an otherwise peaceful experience for others. Just be respectful as these are not dirtbike friendly campgrounds. If you have family members that can't go on the REAL rides, Gifford Pinchot is not a good place to take them, IMO.

I don't think you could legally be kicked out of a campground just because you have dirtbikes with you. It would be kind of like telling a guy with a canoe on the top of his van, "you can't camp here, no canoes allowed".

(The above comments are in regards to dirtbikes only. If you're talking about quads, well, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere)!

Regards,

Log

North Fork CG I'm not sure about but Adams Fork has an ORV Trail right in and out of it, it's pretty much set up to accomodate bikes but you are not supposed to ride around in camp at any of the camp grounds.

I would suggest Old Chimney just up the road from Adams Fork, there is easy access to the 270 and 118 and there are small little play loops between the camp and 270 trail that smaller kids can put around on with out stirring up dust or making noise in the CG :thumbsup:

generally, these rules are simply due to ignorant jerks pitriding in camp in the past. i prefer to camp at campgrounds where dirtbikes are not allowed to be ridden just because i don't like loud ignorant jerks, and it doesn't bother me at all to push my bike 100 yards to the campground entrance in exchange for peace and quiet.

baumgartner campground in idaho is like this. as a result it's a nice quiet place to camp.

mw

What Don said. i have also camped at North Fork with bikes, it's not an issue they just don't want people riding through camp. There are ORV trails out of both as well as out of Blue Lake CG. It's a freaking ORV area, you can ride out of ALL the campgrounds just don't be an ass and ride in the campground and spoil it for the non motorized folks.

That's kinda what I thought. I don't mind pushing to the campground entrance in exchange for no helmetless quads doing cookies near my camp. Thanks everyone for your tips.

Ride, is there a trail out of North Fork that you ride out without getting on a road?

Ride, is there a trail out of North Fork that you ride out without getting on a road?

Yep, 270 passes just to the north and south of the campground. If you go across 23 from the CG you'll run right into the 270 trail. If you go north it ends up dumping you on the road right at the river. If you go left and go across the river on the pavement there is a gravel road on your left. Up that road is a trail on your right (it's a ways up the road) and that will take you to Jumiper and devils staircase. If you go south on 270 from Northfork that takes you to blue lake ORV area and towards Adams CG etc. Just south of Northfork CG on 270 is the split for Bishop (to the left), that can be a very challenging trail for most so be careful taking guys of lessor ability up that, lots of big step ups most the way to the top.

just don't be an ass and ride in the campground and spoil it for the non motorized folks.

A little respect goes a long ways. People should not complain if you get on your bike and leave or come in on your bike to your camp site. However, if your ripping it up in the campground you end up pissing everyone off.

Joe...........

Anybody have any problems camping with their bikes in GP campgrounds like North Fork and Adams Fork. Some sites say that there are no ORV's allowed. Does that mean that you cannot bring them in or that you just cannot ride them into or out of the campground?

Both of those require pushing the bikes into and out of. But the good news, the trail passes right next to either. So you wont have to push far, just to the entrance of the CG. You can bring them, just no riding in the CG

Last week at Big Lake CG on Santiam pass (Hoodoo OHV park) the campground host told me that it's OK to putt in or out of the campground to the trails across the road. However, riders needed helmets and should be respectful of the non-riding campers (DUH). As we were talking, this white trash dumbshit rolls by, raspy KX500, no shirt, no helmet, in flip flops with a 5 gallon water can on his lap going to the crapper. The host says, "Now see? That's what pisses people off and there are campers here right now that are furious about the OHV users." Pretty much it's a common sense, respect for others deal I think, but not yet illegal.

...As we were talking, this white trash dumbshit rolls by, raspy KX500, no shirt, no helmet, in flip flops with a 5 gallon water can on his lap going to the crapper. The host says, "Now see? That's what pisses people off...
Wow, I was under the impression from other areas of this forum, that only was done by quad riders?

:thumbsup:

It just means you can't ride around and around the camp loop . There are trails leading directly out of the campgrounds. :thumbsup:

It just means you can't ride around and around the camp loop . There are trails leading directly out of the campgrounds. :thumbsup:
There is only trails going into and out of "Blue Lake Creek", "Cats Creek" and "Cats Creek Chimney", both Adams Fork and North Fork there is no ORV trails into or out of. But on the good side, both have trails that pass right by them, near the entrance.

exactly

Two weekends ago I camped at Adams Fork and didn't have any problems. There's no host there this year, but a lady with Northwest Land Management goes thru there about twice a day to collect fees, clean the toilets, etc. I asked her If I could ride to and from my site to the trail, and she said yes. I don't have to push my bike? "No", she said. There were at least 3-4 riders that rode right past us as we had this conversation. There's even a sign posted that says "no ORV's allowed". I was pleasantly surprised to see that throughout the weekend, I didn't see anyone play riding in the CG except kids on their bicycles. It's a very nice CG and well suited for dirtbikers. I recommend it.

Eric

I just drove up to Sunset Falls yesterday. Trail #173 is a dirt bike trail. However, the second you come into the GP there are signs all over the place that you need to be street legal and have a drivers license to ride on the forest roads.How the hell are you supposed to get to the trail????

Joe..........

OK so I just called US Forest Headquarters 10600 N.E. 51st Circle Vancouver, WA 98682 (360) 891-5000 and talked to Jim. Jim tells me that it is a state law that prohibits ALL dirtbikes/ORV's that are not street legal from riding anything in the GP, even the trails. I asked what law that is and he directed me to the Washington State Patrol.

Joe.........

joe were is this trial 173 start at around sunset falls?

OK so I just called US Forest Headquarters 10600 N.E. 51st Circle Vancouver, WA 98682 (360) 891-5000 and talked to Jim. Jim tells me that it is a state law that prohibits ALL dirtbikes/ORV's that are not street legal from riding anything in the GP, even the trails. I asked what law that is and he directed me to the Washington State Patrol.

Joe.........

Jim has his head up his ass