Sign in to follow this  

3.4 or 3.9?

Like I said in the earlier post, I need some advice about the IMS tanks.

1) I need to know if either of these tanks interfere with the access to the choke or hot start.

2) Does the ergonomics change much with that fat bast#rd between your legs?

Please no snide comments.

I need to get this ordered asap.

I have the '3.5' gal. Access to the chock/hotstart are somewhat restricted, but certainly still accessible.

Yes, the ergos change some, the tank is wider and taller, the front end feels a bit bloated, but it's not huge. But it's the best way to carry an additional gallon or so, so the comprimise is worth it to me. That said, I ride with the stock tank whenever I can...if I don't require the additional fuel.

I believe the 3.5 and 4.0 tanks are the same size where the rider interfaces, more space is made on the underside and I believe the air vents for the radiators is smaller...

It seems the 4 gallon is about 1/4 inch wider (I compared my 4 to Bigbobs 3.5) and yes the choke and hot start are a little harder to get to but still can be pulled out all the way. Either one will feel strange at first but you get used to it as they are about 3/4 inch wider where your knees touch.

Like I said in the earlier post, I need some advice about the IMS tanks.

1) I need to know if either of these tanks interfere with the access to the choke or hot start.

2) Does the ergonomics change much with that fat bast#rd between your legs?

Please no snide comments.

I need to get this ordered asap.

Flyred, Is the tank for your '04? If so the ergonomics change dramtically. I really like the narrow '04s. With the 3 gallon?, whatever size it is, IMS on my 510 it relly makes a big difference in the feel of the bike. The tanks are a lot wider. Personnally I do not like the feel but it is all you can do for increased capacity. I only put it on for a ride when I need it and then go back to the stock tank ASAP. With the stock 2 gal. tank I can get 40 to 50 miles so I leave it on for all but the long rides with no gas available.

you have the 04, that tank is slim

The stock tank on an '04 is slim. The IMS that fits the '04s is much wider than the stock tank.

I have the bigger tank on my 04 and it is fine. A little bigger but still pretty slim.

IMS changed the tank from 04 to 05. The 04 tank is 3.3 gallons. The 05 and above can be had in either 3.5 or 4.0 gallons. The riders out east like the 3.5 because of the slow going and air circulates thru the radiators better with the space behind them. The 4.0 doesn't have a large space and the desert/baja racers like that better for more range.

If you ride slow ( i.e. mountains, tight trails, etc. then the 3.5 will give you better cooling. If you are WO in the desert and Baja most the day, then the extra .5 gallons ion the 4.0 makes sense. Just my 2 cents having spend a many an hour discussing this in person with my IMS sponsor. Steny :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I wasn't clear about the model year of the tanks. I am changing the look of my 04 over to a red 05-06 version. Since I have to buy a new gas tank anyway I thought about the IMS. I dont really need the extra range but...

I have the bigger tank on my 04 and it is fine. A little bigger but still pretty slim.

that what I meant, the IMS tank on the 04 is a slimer final solution then the 05 because the 04 husky is slimer to start with

I wasn't sure if our post author knew that.

Fly red check out the Clark 3.5gal tank its narrower than the Ims andchoke@hotstart are very accessible also very good air flow through raidators J.R