Sign in to follow this  

3x3

So... i'm going to do the 3x3 here soon... I don't think it'll be a big ordeal like my :thumbsup: carb was.... :applause:

Anyone here done the XR650R thing? Drill a few holes in the side panel....

Anyone here just taken the side panel off and ran it that way?

lemme know!

:ride:

So... i'm going to do the 3x3 here soon... I don't think it'll be a big ordeal like my :thumbsup: carb was.... :applause:

lemme know!

:applause:

yes and yes to calibrate the jetting ultimatly what ever airboxmodification you do you will have to change jetting... i remeber seeing one DRZ with NO AIRBOX just filter :ride:

What is a 3x3 - Common mod to increase, or rather allow, some air to flow into your carb. Without it your engine is starved for air. Yes rejetting is needed.

Yes, usually best if covered with some filter foam if you ride off road. But not usually needed if you do the 3x3 unless you have a lot of other mods.
Usually just for testing.
i remeber seeing one DRZ with NO AIRBOX just filter
I believe burned did for a while, he may still be.

I took my side cover off the other day and rode around... power delivery was the same except for the louder noise which I didn't like... If a 3x3 adds that much noise i'm just gonna pull the snorkel and skip the rejet. Runs like a top anyway :thumbsup:

I took my side cover off the other day and rode around... power delivery was the same except for the louder noise which I didn't like... If a 3x3 adds that much noise i'm just gonna pull the snorkel and skip the rejet. Runs like a top anyway :thumbsup:

3x3 won't be as loud, there is a seat there to baffle it.

As far as not needing to be rejet, that is your option. But I doubt very much that the jetting is correct.

But I doubt very much that the jetting is correct.

Correct for what? Optimum power? or MPG? or cold starts? I feel like jetting is sort of a compromise between several factors one being a couple of ponies and several mpg, i guess it just depends on what your goal is.

Thats what I did..pull the snorkel..no need to rejet..Can't say it helped but didn't hurt.

Correct for what? Optimum power? or MPG? or cold starts? I feel like jetting is sort of a compromise between several factors one being a couple of ponies and several mpg, i guess it just depends on what your goal is.

you have the same bike as i do and let me tell you its not ponies and its not MPG its ALL about Throttle RESPONSE....

Next time your on the Trail try rolling the throttle over a log....it aint happening.... without clutching..... with Jet kit just crack the throttle and BINGO look my front tire is 4 ft above the Ground.... It must be Magic :thumbsup:

Correct for what? Optimum power? or MPG? or cold starts?

All of the above. Correct jetting will give you the most power, the best mpg (provided you don't rev the bike more because it will now rev and give power both), and best cold starting.

I feel like jetting is sort of a compromise between several factors one being a couple of ponies and several mpg, i guess it just depends on what your goal is.

You're kidding right? The proper air/fuel mixture is not a compromise between anything (except for emmissions maybe). We get a bike with compromises because corp suzuki can't jet each bike for every environment. Then you add the EPA/DOT into the mix and you now have a bike that is set very lean at sea level to pass emmissions.

After installing the jet kit and doing the 3x3, I would never go back to the stock setup. It's not much noisier, but it's alot more fun. :thumbsup::ride:

You're kidding right? The proper air/fuel mixture is not a compromise between anything (except for emmissions maybe). We get a bike with compromises because corp suzuki can't jet each bike for every environment. Then you add the EPA/DOT into the mix and you now have a bike that is set very lean at sea level to pass emmissions.

Hey i'm no newbie, I search and read, i've read practically every thread here on the bike... It is a fact that on this webpage people have claimed to have lost mpg to gain hp with jetting. here is an example of what I am basing some of my opinions on... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29418&parentpage=2&highlight=mpg+jetting

But I do understand what you guys are saying and the extra power would be nice... Maybe my jetting cherry is getting ripe :thumbsup:

Hey i'm no newbie, I search and read, i've read practically every thread here on the bike... It is a fact that on this webpage people have claimed to have lost mpg to gain hp with jetting. here is an example of what I am basing some of my opinions on... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29418&parentpage=2&highlight=mpg+jetting

But I do understand what you guys are saying and the extra power would be nice... Maybe my jetting cherry is getting ripe :thumbsup:

How much of that reduced mileage is because the rider is now enjoying his bike more and is using the throttle more liberally?

If you really want to get better milage then slip in a 110 main jet. You won't be able to go very fast and it won't be fun but you'd get 80mpg :ride:

Now shall we consider the cost in engine repair by running a bike overly lean? There is the increased heat and it's effects on engine life.

Even with the mods I still get roughly 40+ mpg when on the highway which is twice the mileage of my truck I get less while trailriding, but it's difficult to calculate correctly anyhow with tire spin, so I'm not sure how much it reduced it. Not enough for me want to go back.

If one was to do the 3x3 mod, would jetting be different for bone stock exhaust, versus doing the 1 3/8" mod (stock motor, BSR 36, sea level to 2000ft, northern Ca.)?

If one was to do the 3x3 mod, would jetting be different for bone stock exhaust, versus doing the 1 3/8" mod (stock motor, BSR 36, sea level to 2000ft, northern Ca.)?

I don't believe the end cap mod has any effect on jetting.

Even with the mods I still get roughly 40+ mpg when on the highway which is twice the mileage of my truck I get less while trailriding, but it's difficult to calculate correctly anyhow with tire spin, so I'm not sure how much it reduced it. Not enough for me want to go back.

How much front tire "spin" do you have anyway??? :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause:

How much front tire "spin" do you have anyway??? :thumbsup::applause::applause::applause:

I think what he meant was that his rear tire is spinning when trail riding, which uses gas and doesn't produce the corresponding forward motion to the front tire. So, utimately he's using fuel that isn't recorded by the odometer connected to the front wheel.

Same thing happens to me when I ride around on the rear wheel all day and the front brake on! :applause: My mileage really sucks! :ride:

How much front tire "spin" do you have anyway??? :ride::applause::applause::applause:

I did the 2x2 mod. Now I never get stuck :thumbsup: