Sign in to follow this  

where can i get steering bearings 24/44 22/44

hi i am having trouble finding some tapered steering bearings to fit some usd forks to my pister 125x i nee 22/44 24/44

any help would be great

kc

i went to Timken Bearings website--- which is the worlds largest roller bearing mfg, and they dont list those sizes in their online catalog. if you have a Motion industries in hawaii, i'd try them.

I found this tapered bearing dimension chart on the SKF site...

d - inner diameter

D - outer diameter

T- thickness, or width

SKF Bearing Site

If the bearing size you're looking for isn't listed, chances are, it isn't made. I spent a considerable amount of time on two other bearing sites, and didn't find a 24 X 44 bearing. The chart above shows a 22 x 44 x 15, it is listed as a 320/22X.

hi i am having trouble finding some tapered steering bearings to fit some usd forks to my pister 125x i nee 22/44 24/44

any help would be great

kc

I've had the same trouble finding bearings to fit Fast Ace forks to the SDG chromo frames which have 43.75 mm bores in the steering head . The closest bearings I've found are CGZ bearing number 320/22 = (44 x 22) and CGZ bearing number 320/23.5 = (44 x 23.6) . The outer rings are 11.7 mm in width x 44 O/D . The bearings are made in China . I'd say they are the closest I'll get .

The bottom bearing has to be a press fit onto the steering pin so that there's no play , that's why they're under 24 mm but .4 mm interference is way too tight . I've thought of honing the centre of the bearings to the right size with a brake cylinder hone or getting a machine shop to press the alloy pin out of the lower clamp and machine it to suit the bearings . It's been a real pain so far !

Are you sure the upper bearing isn't 22.5 mm?

Most chinese bikes with steel steering pins take a 22 mm upper and 23.5 mm lower but GT bikes which are sold as Pitsters in the US have 22 mm upper AND 22 mm lower . The chinese aren't consistent when it comes to manufacturing standards . They most likely use odd sizes so that you have to buy chinese manufactured bearings etc .

The steering pin of the Fast Ace forks needs a 22.5 mm upper bearing and just under 24 mm lower but there don't appear to be any bearings available with 22.5 mm I/D x 44 mm O/D only XR/CRF 22.5 mm I/D X 41 mm O/D and 24 mm I/D X 41 mm O/D tapered rollers . The bottom of the pin is slightly under 24 so 24 mm I/D bearings are a sloppy fit allowing noticeable play in the forks , otherwise the bearings could be bushed up to 44 mm O/D to suit the steering head . Down here in OZ , most chinese bikes fitted with Fast Ace forks (aside from Thumpstar) use different triple clamps than the Fast Ace forged clamps .

2 different model Thumpstar frames I checked (the machined billet alloy spinal frame and the new twinspar alloy frame ) have totally different bearing O/D's , something like 48 and 51 , with the same inner O/D's for the Fast Ace steering pin .

It's enough hassle to drive you crazy ! :ride::thumbsup::applause::applause:

So, wouldn't the next logical thing to do would be to remove the steering stem from the lower triple, and machine the lower bearing seat down to 22mm, and then be able to use the 320/22X bearing on bottom, as well?

There doesn't seem to be a reputable bearing manufacturer who has made a 24/44 bearing, there isn't a listing for one on the AST, NTN, or SKF sites. That leads me to repeat my earlier statement: That size bearing doesn't exist.

yah i thought of that but the company states that as it is a alloy steer stem DO NOT PRESS OUT OR REMOVE IT looks like this fork kit is only for a crf syle frame

yah i thought of that but the company states that as it is a alloy steer stem DO NOT PRESS OUT OR REMOVE IT looks like this fork kit is only for a crf syle frame

Yes , I've also looked at that and came to the same conclusion that the alloy steering stem could be damaged on the thread or bent from being pressed out or misaligned when pressed back in ! However , the stem can still be carefully machined in a lathe ( between centers ) without pressing it out of the lower clamp .

I already have a set of 22.5 x 41 and 24 x 41 XR / CRF bearings but as I said before , they are a sloppy fit at the bottom and the frame would need bushing to suit them anyway , so they are out . I have already bought a set of 22 x 44 and 23.6 x 44 bearings so only a small amount needs to be whizzed off the top and bottom of the stem to enable the lower bearing to be pressed on and the top bearing to slide on neatly and the problem will be solved .

Honing the center bores of the bearings out with a brake cylinder hone to suit the stem would be simpler and cheaper and that way they could still be used on a frame with XR sized bearings plus the unaltered forks would still maintain their resale value .

So, wouldn't the next logical thing to do would be to remove the steering stem from the lower triple, and machine the lower bearing seat down to 22mm, and then be able to use the 320/22X bearing on bottom, as well?

There doesn't seem to be a reputable bearing manufacturer who has made a 24/44 bearing, there isn't a listing for one on the AST, NTN, or SKF sites. That leads me to repeat my earlier statement: That size bearing doesn't exist.

Yes that's right ! As far as I've found , a 24 x 44 bearing doesn't exist (only Chinese made CGZ 320 / 23.6 x 44 and CGZ 320 / 22 x 44 ) but if they are to be used on Fast Ace forks , 24 mm is too sloppy and 22 mm is too small for the top anyway so machining the stem to suit the bearings IS the ONLY answer .

My relo bought GT / Pitster triple clamps which use a steel stem and 22 x 44 bearings top and bottom but the stem was too short to suit the SDG chromo frames we are fitting the forks to . So he had to use a longer stem off another chinese bike and have it machined and pressed into the GT bottom clamp . The GT / Pitster clamps , stem and bearings set him back $260 AUD and he had to buy another pin and spend a further $50 getting it machined to suit .

The GT billet clamps have also had the hell milled out of them during manufacture and the bar riser clamps only have one bolt each screwed up into them from the bottom so they are stacks weaker than the forged Fast Ace clamps and that's why I'm persisting with my FA clamps .

any help would be great

kc

In my case , I need bearings that are 22.5 mm I/D X 43.75 mm O/D for the top and 23.90 mm I/D X 43.75 mm O/D for the bottom which needs to be a press fit to stop slop in the forks . They are needed to fit Fast Ace X-Rosin forks to an SDG type chromoly frame !

It's hard to get an accurate reading on the steering heads because the chinese machine them up and THEN weld them on , which causes them to distort out of round . 43.75 is the average measurement of the bore on my frame .

I've tested fitting the 44 O/D outer races into the frame but they are definitely way too big and have no chance of going in . Are you absolutely positive your steering head is 44 mm I/D ? I contacted crkids on ebay (Thunderbolt USA) with the measurements and they replied that they have bearings to suit the application , plus other bearings to suit other applications as well , so you might want to try them yourself .

Here are the forks and chromo frame :

http://home.exetel.com.au/miumiuxuxu1/fa44.jpg

http://www.cdsxtreme.com/images/dbrchromo1.jpg