Sign in to follow this  

Procom Performance CDI 2002-2003

Details of this new item can be seen at the 2 links below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120020482354

http://procomengineering.com/Motorcycle/crf450r.htm

Does anyone have this item? How is it? Anyone else think it would be a great mod?

I just got my 02 CRF450R, looking for more top end power like my 02 CR 250. I've read that I could get the newer 05-06 CRF250 CDI, and the 04 wire harness, and that setup makes lots more top end power compared to stock and it is liked very much by many here. So I'm wondering which one of these CDI upgrades I should do, I should look to see if I can find a cheap used 250 CDI. I also want to get a MRD exhaust ordered on Tuesday, before looking into these ignitions tonight I was going to get a exhaust made for top end power.

Another thought, maybe the Procum high performance CDI for the CRF250 would be even better than the factory 250 CDI

I decided to buy the Procom CDI for the 05-06 CRF250, instead of a factory 05-06 CRF250 CDI. I figured if the factory crf250 cdi works well and is liked by many people on the 450, then the high performance Procom CDI should work and work alittle better (hopefully). I also ordered the 04 crf450 wire harness for $35 from a local Honda dealer, the 04 harness is easier to connect to the 02-03 crf450 compared to the 05-06 harness, and it will plug into any of the 04-06 crf250 or 450 CDIs. The 04 CDIs are different part numbers compared to the 05-06 CDIs, and the 05-06 CDIs are supposed to be better so I got the Procom CDI for the 05-06.

I bought it on eBay for only $89 with free shipping, a good low price compared to others, eBay link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120012518068 . I past up a good deal for a brand new factory 06 CRF250 CDI for only about $50 on eBay tonight, to buy the Procom instead hoping it will give the bike more of a powerful feel even though I have heard some of these rev boxes don't actually show increased HP numbers on a dyno, but the riders say they definately make the bike faster or feel faster. Other high performance CDI (rev boxes) claim easier starting, better low end power, and more, so hopefully the Procom does the same even though there isn't much info about them online. I'm looking for the most amount of power that can be had out of one of a CDI, not buying because of the increased rev limiter.

I'll let you know how it compares when I get it, hopefully before sunday!

i whould have went with the 06 honda box. wish you well with :thumbsup: your purchase

Because it's the factory honda box? Just wondering. I'm hoping the Procom will add some low end power over the stock box, and some other possible benefits I've seen advertised. thanks.

Because it's the factory honda box? Just wondering. I'm hoping the Procom will add some low end power over the stock box, and some other possible benefits I've seen advertised. thanks.

the 02 was not really a slow bike ,----but you need to be sure the motor is fresh -----more than likely its tired , ---these newer ignitions from the 06 and or the vortex are good ,----but the tired 11.1 compression piston and the lazy cam of the 02 along with the lousy needle and jetting of that first fcr series carb and the stock pipe need to be addressed first .

the ignition is only going to help if the motor is strong ,

the ignition would be one of the last things i did to it if it were mine ,

update the motor to the better standard and go from there,----you will get way more bang for you buck than ignition :thumbsup:

My motor was just rebuilt, factory 02-03 piston, and a 04 crankshaft instead of the 02-03 crankshaft, I just noticed this on my receipt after checking the part numbers, I'm gonna search the forum now to see if that is a better crankshaft, hope so. Exhaust is on order from MRD. I want to get the hotcams stage 1 also. Thanks.

My motor was just rebuilt, factory 02-03 piston, and a 04 crankshaft instead of the 02-03 crankshaft, I just noticed this on my receipt after checking the part numbers, I'm gonna search the forum now to see if that is a better crankshaft, hope so. Exhaust is on order from MRD. I want to get the hotcams stage 1 also. Thanks.

you need to get the compression up in that old boy ---the 11.1 is week an will get weaker when you put a cam in it with more overlap :ride:

no biggie on the crank, --but i would not get two excited on the hcs1 cam at all --even the s2 ----you will have a better running motor with compression and the 05 06 cam ,

unless you really want a monster and then you get Ronnie's RHC 187 cam with his flow work , bore the carb to 41.5 and use the 13.5 je and now you have a monster -----but i gotta warn you it is a hand full :thumbsup:

Well then I should definately consider getting the 13.5 je piston and 05 06 cam soon. Would a hcs1 for the 05-06 with the je piston be better than the factory 05-06 cam with je piston?

Well then I should definately consider getting the 13.5 je piston and 05 06 cam soon. Would a hcs1 for the 05-06 with the je piston be better than the factory 05-06 cam with je piston?

no, for Mx racing on a track where you are ringing it out and humping it for all its worth the 05 06 cam is light years ahead of any hc---and if you want a better cam than the 05 06 get Ronnie's RHC 187 cam ( but you have got to run the 13.5 to make the 187 really come alive and just scream.

if you are a trail guy and you use the very bottom and have slow rocky hill terrain and water crossings large hill climes ,--some of the guys really like the hcs1 --( i do not ) but then again i ride everything like i am on a mx course, --but most trail riders do not ---

so some of this does depend on what you do with the bike ,--

you do not sound like a trail guy ( or you probably would not have chosen the crf450 r with the tall tranny ratios ---i am assuming :thumbsup: )

I already posted this in another thread, but it should be here also for anyone reading this thread in the future.

I hooked up my 04 wire harness and the Procom 05-06 CRF 250 cdi, i don't really think there was any differences compared to having my factory 02 450 cdi, I didn't feel much of any difference in power. The one main difference and big problem was that the bike was almost impossible to start. It started after about 4-5 kicks yesterday right after I installed it, and I noticed when riding it breifly that it didn't seem to be as easy to start. Then today I could not get it to start cold, after many many kicks, so I took it down the steep hill behind my house to bump start it in gear. I rode for a couple of hours and everytime I stopped and had to start the bike, it took forever to get started, many of the times I had to bump start it down a hill to get it started. Twice it started first kick, but most of time it was very very hard to start. That was not normal at all, before this cdi my bike would start like 1st or 2nd kick everytime, sometimes I would have to use the little hot start lever, but with this new cdi the hot start lever didn't really help get it started quickly.

The bike had cooled down for about a hour, then I was going to put my old cdi back in to see if started easily again like before. But first I wanted to try starting the bike again, it wouldn't start with the procom cdi. So I put my old cdi back in (and had to switch the wire harness again), and the bike started first kick like normal. I let it run for a minute or two, shut it off, and again it started first kick.

So either Procom sucks!, or the 250 cdi makes my bike very hard to start (because it's supposed to be for a 250 not the 450), so do you guys think it is the Procom box that makes it hard to start, or the fact that it is the 250 cdi?

Now I'm wondering if I should get a 05-06 crf 250 oem cdi, or the 05-06 CRF 450 oem CDI to replace my older 02 450 CDI.

Thanks for any suggestions.

no, for Mx racing on a track where you are ringing it out and humping it for all its worth the 05 06 cam is light years ahead of any hc---and if you want a better cam than the 05 06 get Ronnie's RHC 187 cam ( but you have got to run the 13.5 to make the 187 really come alive and just scream.

I can vouch for that :applause::thumbsup::ride: I've noticed my bike seems to rev a lot faster now, in fact I am looking for more gears even though I can tell I'm going a lot faster than norm because of the massive headshake I'm having now upon reaching top speed so much quicker :applause: I took it my 450 out for it's second ride on the fresh top end (13.5:1 JE, 187 cam, Ferrea valves) on Friday to my practice grounds....and there is a loop I practice on that is pretty chopped, I made the hair pin corner and suddenly I had massive headshake hitting the chop, but realized I was going as fast as she could when I tried shifting up to the next gear (which wasn't there since I was already in 5th) :applause: It explained the headshake anyway :applause: Now I need to put on a new tire and see how fast she shreds it, the old one just spins way too much and won't hook up on the desert turf. :applause:

Just wanted to throw my two cents in on this. I recently purchased the stock replacement CDI box for my 03 CRF 450, and finally had a chance to ride it some tonight. The first thing that I noticed was that it was harder to start, as stated before. It would normally start first kick, now it takes 4-5. It didn't like to start hot either. I had about the same problem that tom02cr250 had, as far as the hot start not really doing anything. It also seemed to kill the low end, and wanted to die all the time if you came off the throttle. I don't know how fresh my engine is either or if this would effect anything. I am not an experienced or fast rider, and mostly ride trails so I don't want to lose any low end power or have to worry about it dying if I clutch it. Any more info on this subject would be helpful. Thanks TT, and awesome site!

Was that a new stock replacement cdi? If it's used, maybe it's going bad or something. I'm selling my 02 450R cdi on eBay right now if your interested ($19), it's the same for 03. It worked good. I just installed a used CDI from a 2005 CRF250, and a 04 450R wire harness into my 02 450R, and it works like normal, no hard starting like I had with the Procom. It's really hard to say if I noticed any power increase, I didn't really notice anything, maybe alittle extra power in the mid-top range, but hardly noticeable if any, I was hoping for more of a difference.

Was that a new stock replacement cdi? If it's used, maybe it's going bad or something. I'm selling my 02 450R cdi on eBay right now if your interested ($19), it's the same for 03. It worked good. I just installed a used CDI from a 2005 CRF250, and a 04 450R wire harness into my 02 450R, and it works like normal, no hard starting like I had with the Procom. It's really hard to say if I noticed any power increase, I didn't really notice anything, maybe alittle extra power in the mid-top range, but hardly noticeable if any, I was hoping for more of a difference.

You should pull that thing down and put an 04-06 piston in it. You'll notice that without even putting it in gear...

You should pull that thing down and put an 04-06 piston in it. You'll notice that without even putting it in gear...

Yah I'd like to get a better piston in there, higher compression too, although it has a newly rebuilt 02 motor with 02 piston. I'm thinking also about getting the hotcams stage 2, I'd like more top end power instead of getting stage 1, the better higher compression piston could take care of the low end power.