Sign in to follow this  

KLX250 vs TTR250

Whats your opion? Whats the better bike? i'm not racing or any thing but would like a bike thats a good 250 4 stroke (non high comp). It will be used for both on the road and off road.

I'm talking in regards to the 98/99/00 models.

i have no idea what the KLX250s are like, got a friend who had a ttr250 and said it was a great bike but would like to know how a KLX250 compairs to it as they are easier to find at a decent price.

Thanks

WR is a more race orientated, taller lower gear, shorter top gear, great in open areas, not so for trail riding, slower going, will use too much clutch, but top bike

KLX is old school, bullet proof, trail orientated, evenly spaced gearing, timid in the open. Totally different bike. KLX is about the only trail/enduro still in the 250/300 class, also cheap. WR is Dakar Enduro type, quick, nimble. I suggest KLX 250/300 electric start, FMF 4 core slip on, Air-box less lid, CV Carb with 145 main/40 Pilot, 3 turns out, needle with 1.5 mm washer under it (if no adjustment) holes at top of slide filled, bottom vacuum hole drilled out, will now have some power while you wait for the money fore you to get the Mikuni TM33 or other carb and FSW header pipe, Gold Race Valve suspension to finish it all off, now it goes!!! These are only the opinion of myself, good luck

What's "old school" about USD forks, rear disc, water cooled...? Oh, it only has 4 valves. Calling it one of the first of the "new generation" would be more accurate.

True, Kaw could have spent a few bucks on the suspension, not on the basic design but on the execution.

By the way, he was asking about the TTR not the WR.

I think if you are going to buy new then you can't beat the new KLX250S. Got the liquid cooling and USD forks over the TTR and it's street legal. Sounds like you are looking for used so that would price the new for 2006 KLX250S out of contention. The older KLX250/300 are not electric start nor street legal so you will have to make up your mine.

WR is a more race orientated, taller lower gear, shorter top gear, great in open areas, not so for trail riding, slower going, will use too much clutch, but top bike

KLX is old school, bullet proof, trail orientated, evenly spaced gearing, timid in the open. Totally different bike. KLX is about the only trail/enduro still in the 250/300 class, also cheap. WR is Dakar Enduro type, quick, nimble. I suggest KLX 250/300 electric start, FMF 4 core slip on, Air-box less lid, CV Carb with 145 main/40 Pilot, 3 turns out, needle with 1.5 mm washer under it (if no adjustment) holes at top of slide filled, bottom vacuum hole drilled out, will now have some power while you wait for the money fore you to get the Mikuni TM33 or other carb and FSW header pipe, Gold Race Valve suspension to finish it all off, now it goes!!! These are only the opinion of myself, good luck

He asked about the TTR250 not the WR250. They are two completely different bikes.

I can't speak for the KLX250, but the KLX300 is hands down a better bike than the TTR250.

The older KLX250/300 are not electric start nor street legal so you will have to make up your mine.

He's in Australia. They've had the estart 250's for years I believe.

He's in Australia. They've had the estart 250's for years I believe.

Yes the KLX250s are street legal on those years and i'm 99% sure they have estart

Sounds like you are looking for used so that would price the new for 2006 KLX250S out of contention.

Unfortunately a new bike is completly out of the question.

Yes the KLR250s are street legal on those years and i'm 99% sure they have estart

Now wait a minute, now you're talking KLR's? Different bike than the KLX.

Now wait a minute, now you're talking KLR's? Different bike than the KLX.

sorry i mean KLX. I've currently got a KLR thats why i acidently said KLR.