Sign in to follow this  

Speed question.

I have a question for all of you guys who race. I am 21 years old, and I just bought a bike back in march. It is my first bike I have had since I had an 80 ten years ago I ran around in the backyard. So basically Im learning now. I have been to a few local practice tracks, and at first couldnt really do anything, didnt like the rear end sliding around on dirt( wasnt used to it) but now I can clear basically almost every jump at times, with good runs and confidence. However, I guess like many riders, im slow in the turns and what not. In the C-class, in a 4 lap race, I basically get lapped by the fastest 5 riders in the class. Is this normal to be this slow starting out? I know the C-guys sandbag , and could be B riders, but should I be that slow in my first year. Again, the track I ride at is big, and gets rutted out big time. Any input, Thanks ALso how many of you guys wear knee braces?

As a beginner the best advice I can give is to first not get frustrated, and second don't be too critical and compare yourself to others. As a beginner you are expected to run at the back of the pack and that is not a bad thing. As with any other sport focus on the fundamentals and rest will come with practice. The biggest misconception with MX is that it is an easy sport and skills are developed quickly. The common phrase you hear all the time now is so in so "was riding over their head". That is when a rider is riding out of control and runs the risk of injuring themselves and others. If you try too much too fast you will get injured and may loose the love of the sport.

If you are racing to win; take lessons, practice a lot and major on the minors. If your goal is to have fun but be competitive, do the same and understand it will take time. And finally if you are like the 95% of us on the track who will never be pro and do it for fun, just grip it and rip it and use a 5 dollar stopwatch and track your progress.

What ever your goal is, be safe and have fun!!!

Well are you racing Dist. #34? If so, then don't worry about it

the top 10 in 125C are insanely fast.

I win the +25C and then go get a 15th in the 125C main. :thumbsup:

Just keep practicing, it's going to take time and a lot of it.

Be safe, yet try to push yourself. It's a fine balance.

I wear EVS Web's and love them.

As everyone has already stated, take it slow, and focus on the basics. It's much more fun to ride around slow, than to crash and be out for 6 weeks because you were "riding over your head". BTW, I wear EVS RS-6 brace. Invest in a good quality set.

I have a question for all of you guys who race. I am 21 years old, and I just bought a bike back in march. It is my first bike I have had since I had an 80 ten years ago I ran around in the backyard. So basically Im learning now. I have been to a few local practice tracks, and at first couldnt really do anything, didnt like the rear end sliding around on dirt( wasnt used to it) but now I can clear basically almost every jump at times, with good runs and confidence. However, I guess like many riders, im slow in the turns and what not. In the C-class, in a 4 lap race, I basically get lapped by the fastest 5 riders in the class. Is this normal to be this slow starting out? I know the C-guys sandbag , and could be B riders, but should I be that slow in my first year. Again, the track I ride at is big, and gets rutted out big time. Any input, Thanks ALso how many of you guys wear knee braces?

Concentrate on being smooth. Study Semics videos and work on the basics, one at a time. Before long, you'll be stringing corners together, and be faster than you thought possible. As for braces, I wear them, (EVS Visions) but if you look in the fitness forum, you'll find pros and cons. I rely on mine more for coverage rather than joint support. After having knee guards slip around and expose my kneecaps (ouch!) in a crash, I won't ride without my braces anymore.

Good luck with your progress...

Keep the emphasis on fun.

Nick

Yeah that's just how it is you should try renting out a local track and practice on it for a good few hours and get the feel of it that what I did and I'm glad i did it. But i was stupid and decided to race before i practice but I did get second place it wasn't to bad for my first race I was also racing a trail bike against racing bikes so that was also a big challenge but i had ridden for 4 years before in offroad activities if i wouldn't done that i would have been dead last offroading is great practice especially if your racing in a rutted out envirement the trails will really get you race ready the trails teach you what you can and can't do which is Ideal for racing. :thumbsup:

You just started, do you honestly expect to keep up with the top 5 riders in the 125 C class?

Instead of expecting so much in your first season, just try to improve your finishes a little bit every race.

The best thing I can suggest is to work on your turns. A friend of mine races at a local track in the 125C class and he passes a lot of people in the turns.

at your local track try getting behind a faster guy and watch how he takes the turn then at the speed you can go try to keep behind him. also when practicing try staying a moderate speed and not using your brake in all the turn and you start to pick it up more.

I understand I am going to be beat, however getting lapped by them seems Im way out of contention, for good.

Concentrate on being smooth. Study Semics videos and work on the basics, one at a time. Before long, you'll be stringing corners together, and be faster than you thought possible. As for braces, I wear them, (EVS Visions) but if you look in the fitness forum, you'll find pros and cons. I rely on mine more for coverage rather than joint support. After having knee guards slip around and expose my kneecaps (ouch!) in a crash, I won't ride without my braces anymore.

Good luck with your progress...

Keep the emphasis on fun.

Nick

I read both sides of the knee brace issue in the Health and fitness forum too and will never wear them...

Hey, a lot of good info for you here, especially about the Semics DVDs ha, ha. Don't be too hard on yourself, give yourself some time and enjoy the process. Try to improve gradually and consistently. If you're having fun and enjoying the process you'll do better.

Good luck, ride smart, :thumbsup:

don't worry you will get it just keep riding as much as possible and you will notice turns you normally take in 2nd gear you will be taking in 3rd it happened with me I used to think 1st gear around a turn (when trail riding) was going fast but after many hours riding in my back yard I now take the same turn in 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

I to will be hitting the track soon I am gonna start with practices first tho and doesn't your district have a no sand bagging policy because here if you place first 3 times in a row you get bumped