Sign in to follow this  

Mental Problems??

Have taken the last year off from dirt biking after my last injury. Took 8 - 10 months to heal (crushed foot). Feeling the call back to riding. Came to this forum looking for advice on best boots. Reading through these posts in the Health Section and stepping back for a moment. Do you think we might all might have some kind of mental problems? Would you call the risk/reward ratio an acceptable risk. Anybody else have these kinds of questions? :thumbsup:

Take it slow. Was your injury from a bike crash? There are lots of people who might think you're nuts but those are the same people who never take any risks in anything they do. Sometimes there are risks worth taking....like potential injuries from activities we do for fun. Your call.

Have taken the last year off from dirt biking after my last injury. Took 8 - 10 months to heal (crushed foot). Feeling the call back to riding. Came to this forum looking for advice on best boots. Reading through these posts in the Health Section and stepping back for a moment. Do you think we might all might have some kind of mental problems? Would you call the risk/reward ratio an acceptable risk. Anybody else have these kinds of questions? :thumbsup:

I struggle with this question everyday. I walk through the garage and see my dirtbike there and wonder if I will ever get back on or should I sell it.

When I was younger I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Now, it has cost me time off of work, side jobs that I could have made money at, Thousands of dollars in doctor bills after what insurance paid. My other activities have suffered as well. I love to ride street and some friends were interested in doing a track day this year. Of course accidents can happen on the track and result in a collarbone break as well or worse. I crash more on a dirtbike however, even when you don't crash coming over jumps and all that's involved with dirt you rarely come away totally unbruised.

I like to do things around the house, currently a tree needs cutting down in my back yard. I like to lift weights, shooting my rifle is not something I want to do even though it is my left arm holding it up still takes the muscle that is still on the mend. Punching or kicking the heavy bag is out of the question.

There are so many other things that I enjoy doing that I have to decide whether riding a dirt bike is worth the risk and enjoyment compared to being able to do all the other things I like to do.

I may just find other people to ride with that aren't as fast, I may just trail ride with my wife at a very slow pace. Who knows. I am in no condition right now that it even matters but it is on my mind everyday.

I have a co-worker who rides a skateboard and loves it. He often bangs up his knees and wrists but luckily hasn't broken anything. He says it wouldn't stop him but that is easy to say when it hasn't actually happened.

Good luck and whatever you decide, take it slow and have fun...

Depends how you look at it. Helps my mental frame of mind when I ride, which like most people in this corner of TT has not been recently.

I am not ready to hang it up - but have asked myself "why ride?" many times and in my case it is "freedom" it provides - get together with new people and old friends, other days just need to get away from people since living in the suburbs gets to me after a while. Trails are fun and I don't require high speeds for a thrill - but that is fun too.

Anyone who flies airplanes, runs into, rather than out of burning buildings, serves in the Armed Forces, cuts people for a living, or rides a motorcycle is crazy.

We just need to recognize it in ourselves and get on with our lives.

I broke my hip in 1993 while riding. When I was able to phisically start riding again I thought I would just hop on the bike and go, but it took me a long time to get mentally right about riding fast again.

Whenever I get hurt, riding is my motivation for healing. I think the more PT I do the faster I can get back on the bike. I've broken my leg, my ankle, my wrist, and recently had ACL replacement, each time I'm just looking foward to when I can get back on the bike. I have a high stress job and mondays seem to be a lot better after a race weekend.

Two years ago I broke my ankle walking on my ice covered driveway (down for 3 months), within the last three weeks I threw my back out getting into my easy chair (down for a week). A month ago I was trail riding in the Wenatchee Forest area and lost it on a uphill switchback, the bike shot into the air and bounced off me as I was clawing and tumbling down a 30ft.-40ft. steep incline the bike luckily stayed on the downside of the switchback. I got the wind knocked out of me and cracked or bruised a couple ribs could hardly breath and felt every bump on the way back to camp. You can get hurt doing the most inane activity, might as well have a good riding mishap to explain away the injury, better than trying to explain to people how you slipped and broke your ankle walking on a flat driveway. I'm closer to 50 than to 40, and I will never stop riding my dirt bikes. I've stopped (just recently) and wondered how much time I have left to enjoy dirt biking, and came to the conclusion that it's a race to the end and I'd rather ride than walk.

I'm 45 and recently seperated my shoulder.Everyone asks me if I'm done riding. I say no way! I enjoy it too much. I would rather take the chance and do things I enjoy than sit in a freakin rockin chair. I need the adrenaline rush in my life. I will quit when I physically cant do it. Guy

gotta love the title to this thread...too funny !

in any case, i broke my wrist back in june and it's almost 100% now.

but to respond to the original poster, yes, i often think about getting back on the bike since my little wipe out. breaking only one small bone in the wrist and being confined to a long arm cast in no fun and very humbling. my life felt like it was on hold. i do a lot of drawing and computer work for work so doing that with a casted drawing arm, no good. now that i'm healthy, i plan on getting on the bike again. i actually got on for a quick spin around the neighborhood and it felt great. from now on though, i feel that my crazy days of going balls out on the bike are over. it's really not worth it. like another above poster said, i plan on just chillin out on the bike. i'm married 32, and lead an active lifestyle that demands my 100% so easing up on the bike makes sense. you have to do what you heart tells you.

speed safe

Have taken the last year off from dirt biking after my last injury. Took 8 - 10 months to heal (crushed foot). Feeling the call back to riding. Came to this forum looking for advice on best boots. Reading through these posts in the Health Section and stepping back for a moment. Do you think we might all might have some kind of mental problems? Would you call the risk/reward ratio an acceptable risk. Anybody else have these kinds of questions? :ride:

Dirt biking can prevent or delay the onset of mental problems such as dementia. So ride until your time to ride ends, then let it go without regret. I like to think that riding can be a form of spirituality if approached properly. I get more a feeling of being part of creation (and appreciating it) when I'm riding a bike than when I'm driving a cage or sitting in a church. Probably this has very little to do with excessive speed or fear or risk taking. :thumbsup:

Anyone who does 40 hours a week in a cubicle then goes home on the weekend to do honey-do's and watch TV is the mental case. It is in a man's and in some cases woman's nature to get out into nature and see what there is to see, to conquer a hill, some gnarly singletrack, or those triples. It's what makes us men. Society wants us to be tame and nimble but that goes completely against our nature, we need to be challenged, to have a quest, to conquer something, to live a little on the edge. Most people that live a very "safe" life don't seem to be completely happy, and hate those of us that are.

Anyone who does 40 hours a week in a cubicle then goes home on the weekend to do honey-do's and watch TV is the mental case. It is in a man's and in some cases woman's nature to get out into nature and see what there is to see, to conquer a hill, some gnarly singletrack, or those triples. It's what makes us men. Society wants us to be tame and nimble but that goes completely against our nature, we need to be challenged, to have a quest, to conquer something, to live a little on the edge. Most people that live a very "safe" life don't seem to be completely happy, and hate those of us that are.

Very well said.

I too am closer to 50 than 40 and have had my worst injury in my life a couple of years ago. Do I stop....hell no. I have been riding in the dirt since I was 11 and have as much fun now as then. I get more sore and don't recover from injuries as quickly as before but, riding clears my head like no other sport. I guess it's the amount of focus required to ride at speed and the fact I don;t want to play lawn dart that focuses my thoughts. It also makes me think about what I eat and what level my fitness is at. Stop riding and I would become mental :thumbsup:

Bill :applause::ride:

I broke my wrist/arm. First ride back, I crushed my left foot. First ride back after that, I severely sprained my right ankle. I'm 41.

Its INSANE... and that's what I like about it.

I love riding on Sunday, but I absolutely, positively MUST get to work on Monday. I still take the risk.

Riding isn't just something that I do, its part of who I am. Can't help it.

If it's a mental problem we have, I'm glad I have have it. My brother talked me into getting a bike after a 22 year layoff and I'm having a ball. I've been hurt at work worse than on the bike, but the time may come when that is reversed. Everytime we go out the goal is to have fun, be safe and push just a little harder. I am 48 and will ride till I can't start a bike anymore, electric start may be the answer. A trail ride, an open practice or an occasional race make it all worth while. Now about that double at Twister Valley!!!!!!!!!!

My son crushed his tibia and fibula and broke his wrist when he overshot a jump on May 6th. Two surgeries later his wrist is okay, except for no feeling in a couple of fingers and he is still on crutches after having an osteotomy. That is when the bone is cut and straightened and bone grafted. Anyway while we were in Houston getting the surgery a good friend of his was paralyzed when he jumped into a doughboy pool.

So, :thumbsup: what I am saying is that SHIT happens and it doesn't matter who you are or what you are doing. If you enjoy riding I say do it, life is too short not to enjoy it.

There is a recurring theme here... ride because you enjoy it, take it slow and easy, have fun, but remember, shit happens, and more than likely not on the trail.

You want a good boot? The A.R.C. boot from rocky mountain has been good for me. And NewEnough has Tech 8's on closeout.

Take out your baby and :ride::applause::applause::thumbsup: