Sign in to follow this  

Pro Wheel spokes and stock rims-Good info

I ordered some new spokes for the front wheel on my '03 crf450r after a little disagreement with a tree. I found a nearly-new takeoff rim from someone on this site for $30 and ordered the spokes through Motosport. I compared the Pro Wheel spokes to the stock spokes and found that they had a larger diameter spoke and bigger nipples. I tried the Pro Wheel nipples for fit in the new rim and they wouldn't fit. I searched everywhere I could for some info on whether the rim needed to be drilled out. I wanted to be sure before I drilled the new rim. After an exhaustive search, I was not able to find a thing about it online, not from the Manufacturer, not from Thumpertalk, not anywhere. So I called Pro Wheel and spoke (no pun) to one of their techs who told me that Honda runs a slightly smaller spoke nipple and you will need to drill the Stock Honda rim with a 21/64th drill bit for a proper fit. Now the moral of the story here is that if you are attempting to rebuild a stock rim with Pro Wheel spokes during the weekend when no one is answering the phone and you just have to have it done this weekend and you can't find any information online (huge run-on sentence) hopefully someone will find this post and not have to wait like I did.

Stock Honda rim 21"

Pro Wheel spokes 3.4mm x 240mm

21/64th drill bit for spoke nipples

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

• Like 1

I did not have to drill the hubs. Although the spokes were slightly larger in diameter, they fit the stock hub fine. Drilling the rim is barely worth mentioning because it was such a small amount, but the nipples definitely will not fit unless you do. Had my first ride on it the other day as well as the new Dunlop 756 race replica tire. That sucker sticks in the corners and makes even the '03 crf450 turn like a champ. :thumbsup: