~ Question on the Canon Rebel XT ~

I bought my new rebel last month and took it too my first MX race. It took awesome pictures and was so easy too use. Took alittle over 1000 pictures with no problems other than me getting use to it. The camera sat for a week and with in that week I bought a hood to go on my Canon Zoom Lens EF 55-200mm. Went to a race this past Sunday and I had all types of problems. Error 99 kept coming up. Could not use any auto positions except portrait. Had to turn the camera off and then back on to clear and take a picture and it would go error 99. Tried manual and other positions that one can set up and had the same problem. I was just sick. (I'm not a pro at photography, just the love of MX) Came home with my 1000 hard to do pictures that are nearly terrible. Too much light and all sorts of problems trying the different settings. I was going to stop by my local camera shop this morning to see if they could give me some in sight on what I did wrong. So I took it out of the case and went outside to see if it was still doing it. I took over 50 pictures in the sports position with absolutely no problems and excellent pictures. I brought it back into the house and put it in the case when I noticed the hood in the case. I did not have it on the camera. Could this be my problem? And if so why... Would it confuse the signals going to the camera. I see hoods on most all of the photographers camera at races. I'm hoping that the hood is my problem.... Anyone have some insight on this? I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

www.Lantzermx98.com

I have the same camera and haven't had the first issue with it in the 8 mos I've owned it. I can't imagin the hood has caused the issues, but I don't know. I would ask your camera shop about that. I don't have a hood, but I badly need one.

I would address it quickly and completly. It sounds like this may be a warranty claim.

The only camera website I have used is http://www.dpreview.com/ There may be good forums there for this discussion. I don't think you're going to get good info from TT for this issue. Good luck.

Thank you for your suggestion and that is a very nice site. The only difference with what I was doing on race day and this morning at home was I had the hood on Sunday and not here. So I went to my camera shop and the fellow looked at my camera and put the hood on the lens and started snapping away with out any trouble. As I was watching him, I saw that the hood was moving along with the focusing of the lens. Boy do I feel stupid..... All day Sunday the hood never moved from one side to another. The hood went on just as easy as could be but it was not on correctly. So that is my problem... I'm glad there was nothing else wrong and just stack it up on a learning experience. Thanks again for your input.

Always In Memory of Aaron #98, Arlene

www.Lantzermx98.com