Sign in to follow this  

yz250f suspension help

I finally got my 2003 250f engine where I want it, plus some, and now I am looking for some advise on the suspension. I can not get the suspension to work well at all no mater where I adjust the clickers, so I am thinking revalve. What do you guys think of the 03 250F's suspension? I am looking for some suggestions to what I should do. I am not apposed to doing the work my self, but I would much rather have somebody else do the work. I weight around 165-170, so I do not think I need different springs. I live in Pittsburgh, and Pro-action is no too far from me. Does anybody have any experience with them? I ride mainly woods quite aggressively, but I do also ride mx on occasion. Is it even possible to have a suspension that works well at both by only changing the clickers? I have also looked into a couple other companies, but some of them look like they specialize in Honda or Kawi. That is why I am asking this question here, and not in the suspension forum. I am looking to spend around $300-$400 total. I am also not sure if I should have both the forks and shock done. The shock feels okay, as apposed the the forks that I do not like. But, it may be the shock making the fork not work correctly. As you can tell by my post, I have no Idea what to do, or where to start. Please give me some advise.

Found a local shop called DEK. The guy I talked to said that I do not need new valves "gold valve", but changing the valve stack can give the desired effect. They do forks for 165 and shocks for 155- servce and stack change. How does this sound?

Found a local shop called DEK. The guy I talked to said that I do not need new valves "gold valve", but changing the valve stack can give the desired effect. They do forks for 165 and shocks for 155- servce and stack change. How does this sound?

Don't change your valves to the "RaceTech gold valves", the valves in our bikes are better their old technology (10 yrs old now). Changing the shim-stack as suggested by your suspension tuner will help you with what you want to accomplish with respect to your expectation - tell them your ability, your weight, riding style, mx or trail preference, etc.

I revalved my 02 WR's suspension a couple of years ago and the price that you were given is within the same range (mine cost more due to purchasing heavier springs for my weight). Make sure the suspension shop that you're dealing with is reputable and knows how to service dirt bikes.

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/wr250f/suspension.html

On my '03 I had my tuner, DLR Cycleworks , come up with some outstanding specs for front and rear. I ride mostly MX but these settings worked great in the woods when I turned the clickers out 4-6 clicks. I like my susp smooth and these worked wonderfully over the roots in the woods. At the same time that he was working with me (we changed specs 2 times) he was also working with a local A harescrambler on the same bike. The 2 end results were very similar specs that worked well both on track and in woods. These specs are what he's using for your model of fork/shock. It works really well when you're being aggressive. Very accurate and confidence inspiring. Some of my slower buds thought it was a little stiff/harsh. i turned the clickers out and they quit whining!

try del@austinnc.com

• Like 1

Okay, I am down to 2 choices. First is to have the local DEK guy service and change the valve stack (he doesn't change or modify the valve it self) in the forks and shock for $320 total. Or, have Pro-Action suspension (about 45 mins away) do the front forks (valve and stack modification) for about $240. What should I do.

Oldnbold - Did DLR modify the valves or just change the stacks?

Hey Burgunder,

I have an '05 YZ250F and had similar complaints about my suspension. I didn't like it anywhere - on the MX track or in the woods. And I couldn't find any clicker adjustments that worked well for any situation. For me, it just stunk on any type of terrain. I knew I had to get both ends revalved (i.e. adjustment to the shim stack and whatnot, not Race Tech valves).

So I looked around and settled on Factory Connection (www.factoryconnection.com) partly because they have big time experience with Yamahas and partly because they will work with you until you're happy. And they were great - they really helped me get it dialed in. It might have been a little more costly because of the shipping to them, but it was worth it.

I think it was little more than $500 for them to "revalve" the forks and shock, as well as install softer springs fore and aft. Then I think the shipping was about $30 for me in Eastern PA. Their turnaround time was 1 day, so all together I was only without my suspension for about 3-4 days.

But, no matter who you choose, definitely get the suspension modded. I don't know anything about the Race Tech valves as I've never used them. Most of the suspension shops I looked at will "revalve" your suspension by changing the stack of shims (thin washers) that control the flow of oil in the compression and rebound circuits. They might also change the oil level and oil weight to help with the new shim stack configuration, depending on your weight and riding ability.

Hope that helps and good luck with your suspension!

Well, I talked to the head tech at Pro-action and he instilled alot more confidence in me as to what they offer and the results I will see. Cost is $225 for complete set-up including new valving. As it was explained, they do alot more than "shim shuffling." I think this is exactly what I am looking for. The people I talked to were very professional, and i like that fact that they are local. They ride the same tracks and trails as I do. Also, I asked if I need to do both the forks and the shock, and to my supprise, the guy said no. I really like that the guy did not try and up-sell me something I may not need just to make more money. I would still love to talk to some one that had work don'e by Pro-Action.

Oldnbold - Did DLR modify the valves or just change the stacks?

Changed the stack.