Sign in to follow this  

Apartments and bikes...

Hey everyone, I'm going to be getting my own place in less than a year...out in Los Angeles area (for college). I don't want to live on campus, besides the fact that I wouldn't be able to store the bike anywhere if I did, I just don't want to...I like my own space and place.

Anyways, I know some of you with apartments store the bikes inside on a piece of plywood or something in case anything leaks. That's fine, I can do that...I also know it would be good to have a ground floor one so I can get the bike in/out easy. My question is, what do most places think of this? Are you really even allowed to store it inside? Did you ask, or just go ahead and do it when no ones around?

Thanks for all the help fella's! :thumbsup:

its probably against the lease and places with a garage are to much money. So just do it, you'll find lower unit one bedrooms for 900 a month. The riding is sooooo good here it worth it..

good luck

-astro-

I know a couple guys that share rent on a mini storage and keep half a dozen bikes there. I would be very selective about who you trust with the key if I did something like that.

I know a couple guys that share rent on a mini storage and keep half a dozen bikes there. I would be very selective about who you trust with the key if I did something like that.

That's not a option because I only know a few people, but they don't ride.

just put it in you apartment no one will care or notice if you keep it out or sight

When I was renting a condo I had my Harley and my yz in the condo. People saw me do it all the time and never said anything. It's a good conversation starter too.

When i went away to college in Idaho i kept my bike in a storage for a short time. I saw some guys with bikes one day and got to know them and ride with them. They ended up letting me store my bike at their house and i could get my bike anytime i wanted. Cool thing... off subject... when winter rolled around and snow canceled riding in Idaho, my Idahoan buddy let me take his brand new CR250 home to so cal during winter break!

A bit off topic but don't you have to live in the dorms for your first year of college?

A bit off topic but don't you have to live in the dorms for your first year of college?

No...

Most parents just want you to live in dorms for the first year so that you get the "full experiance" of college.

When i went away to college in Idaho i kept my bike in a storage for a short time. I saw some guys with bikes one day and got to know them and ride with them. They ended up letting me store my bike at their house and i could get my bike anytime i wanted. Cool thing... off subject... when winter rolled around and snow canceled riding in Idaho, my Idahoan buddy let me take his brand new CR250 home to so cal during winter break!

Good peeps...them Idahoans :thumbsup::ride:

I skipped the whole dorm thing too. I kept my bike in an apt once. No problem...just don't be blatant about it (changing oil on front porch, wheelies down the street, etc).

And if the landlord does see you and questions it, invite him in to see how you're protecting his floors with plywood or plastic. Good luck...college in SoCal is a blast!

Where are you going to college? Wait to make sure you get in before you buy/rent anything. Cali schools are extremely hard to get in to if you're out of state.

I just moved to dallas for college, and I'm renting a little 5x10 storage facility. It's not much room, but it works. Then again, I haven't tried doing any work on the bike yet.

My advice, live on campus your first year. Hanging out in the dorms awesome. You get to meet so many people. Plus, you can walk down to parties and frat houses, and not have to drive back. They made me live here this year, and even though there's almost no room, it's not bad at all.

Renting a house with a garage would be ideal, too bad you don't know anybody down there. I'd let you keep the bike at my yamaha sanctuary, but I'm about 6 hours north of LA

Depending on where you go to College,If possible the High Desert would be cheeper.You could get a house w/ garage for the price of an apartment in LA.Or find a room for rent in a house.Look into it sounds like you have time :thumbsup:

I thought it was required to live in dorms your first year.... maybe that's just at wsu

I'm only 45min N. of downtown L.A. If you need help finding something just let me know.I could make time for a fellow TTer :thumbsup:

When you get out to Arizona, they have apts. with Small Garages you can rent also..

I thought it was required to live in dorms your first year.... maybe that's just at wsu

It is with some, and not with others. Most colleges are moving towards requiring it for freshmen. It is here at SMU. Personally, being 13 hours away from home, it sure makes it easier.

When you get out to Arizona, they have apts. with Small Garages you can rent also..

Thanks everyone, well I been through many threads on AZ vs CA, I just decided overall I want to go to UCLA, I will have no problem getting into the schools...I'm a straight A student, awesome ACT/SAT scores, etc...very well rounded too...GPA is currently a 3.8. I was looking at Arizona, but I always wanted California in the first place...money, I know would be a lot more, but I'm willing to live with it, once I get done with some schooling and a decent job I should be straight through medical school. I first ended at AZ, but over the past month I been changing my mind again and decided I obviously really want to go where I did in the first place, which is CA.

Anyways, yeah...I know a few people that live in Burbank, Camarillo, and then a small handful that live in San Diego area. Other than that I know zero people, at least in person...I appreciate the offers on holding my bike for me and whatnot, and yeah...I figure I'm a pretty cool guy, get along with mostly everyone, and if I ran into the Landlord we would be cool on the grounds...just wanted to see what you were thinking. Oh...and Terrace...my ex-girlfriend lives their now, she moved this past year. :ride::applause::thumbsup:

As for the schools, I got that all covered, so don't worry about that guy's. I have months and year's of homework done on this college and location stuff...trust me, I know everything you're going to tell me about the prices, locations, etc...

Thanks.