Sign in to follow this  

What Type Of Valves To Get?????

Hello, I Have An 03' Crf450r. It Has About 200+hours On It. I Have Reshimmed My Valves But Can No Longer Reshim Them. What Type Of Replacement Valves To Get? Ferrai Valves? Kibblewhite? Or Just Replace With Oem? Any Suggestions I Would Like To Replace The Valves So I Do Not Have To Frequently Check The Clearances Is Stainless Steel The Way To Go If So What Type Of Valves?

Make sure what ever type valves you get you must have the seats cut fresh. If you install OEM there's no need to lap the valves and you will wear off the titanium coating. Even if you decide to use the stainless steel there's no need to lap the valves if the seats are cut fresh. If you don't have the seats cut the new valves will wear out in no time.

Most of the reputable engine builders, White Bros, Barr's competition etc. recommend the OEM because they are lighter and rev out on top end better. The stainless will work fine but they are slightly heavier and you will loose a tad of top end power. If you're a novice you probably won't notice it. Honda engineered the Head to run the titanium.

Maker sure you send the head to somone reputable (no small shops). Good Luck!

Todd

I don't know which ones are the best. I can tell you that the quality of the Ferrea kit seemed pretty good to me. I only have a few hours on the bike with the new top end and I can't feel any performance difference between the steel and Ti. The Ferrea kit is a little cheaper than the Kibblewhite. You can get the Ferrea kit on eBay for $250.

If it was me, I would go all OEM honda. You got 200 hours out of Honda's best so why mess around. Also, consider getting a new head instead of attempting to recondition your old head. You'll spend as much having someone recutting the valve seats and installing new valve guides as you would just buying a new head. Bad machine work is more common than you think so why roll the dice. This will also allow you the opportunity to upgrade to an '06 head.

Why Would I Want To Buy A New Head? If You Have Them Recut It Will Be Just Like New. Thanks For The Input On The Oem Valves Though. I Got 200+ Hours Out Of Mine By Constantly Maintaining And Reshimming Them. It Is Not Difficult But Time Consuming. I Think I Am Going To Try The Ferrea Valves Seems Like A Good Deal

Thanks For The Input

Why Would I Want To Buy A New Head?

Because you will spend as much cutting seats and replacing guides as you will on a new head. If your machinist screws up the job, you will be wishing you spent the $200 on a new head instead.

RHC says the '06 head is better too.I'm gonna take his word for it after the season's over.

get the fererah or ferria, or whatever the hell they are. The kw's have been know to snap. Let ron do the work.