Sign in to follow this  

biking for endurance

how far would you guys recommend biking to gain endurance. i want to be able to ride about 4 hours without feeling like i am going to die, right now i can go about 1 and 30 minutes without getting very tired

The issue with endurance is that endorphins act against you in that they may conceal the pain from over doing it. Also some get "hooked" on exercising due to endorphins. If you overdo, you can eventually get harmed from over training.

It all depends on your age, how fast you ride and in what conditions (terrain, weather) and how fast you recuperate. Just stay on the safe side and give yourself plenty of time to recuperate.

Biking is usually a low impact sport, but you still can dehydrate yourself and then do more harm than good. If you feel good after a 90-minute then that's perfect, do it a couple times a week.

how far would you guys recommend biking to gain endurance.

As far as your gas tank will allow you to go.

how far would you guys recommend biking to gain endurance. i want to be able to ride about 4 hours without feeling like i am going to die, right now i can go about 1 and 30 minutes without getting very tired

Not enough information here. If you're goin full out, you're going to feel like dieing within a few seconds. Go easy enough and you can ride all day and die from boredom.

In my experience, to do a four hour ride at your normal pace, you will need to do rides of 50%-70% of that distance, at least four or five times a week. When you can work up to that level, then an occasional 4 hour ride should be within reach.

You have to build slow, you can't expect to double your mileage in a month. It can easily take six months to a year or more, to bring someone around who's really out of shape and has led a passive lifestyle.