Sign in to follow this  

carb or jetting problem?

Guys, I have a '94 kx250. Haven't riden it much and it's sat for about 3 years.

Started it up last weekend (someone interested in buying it) and it ran fairly well but wouldn't idle.

So far, the carb's been apart 3x, all jets are clear (pilot(?) - not main - was partially blocked initially), I've cleaned behind the idle needle, blown everything out with compressed air lowered the float slightly (more on that later).

Runs even better, nice and crisp, but still doesn't idle - adjustment screw is all the way up.

I also rode it for a couple of hours just to get it hot and run some gas through the carb.

I suspect the float level is off, but don't have the the 18x1.0 threaded plug w/ hose to measure. When I shut off the gas, the idle starts to rise as the bike leans out (when the level drops in the float bowl). Will probably order it today.

All jets are stock, as is the needle, idle air is set to 2 turns, needle clip on middle groove, stock pipe (kinda dented) or fmf fatty (no difference w/ pipe).

Anything obvious I'm missing? Any other thoughts?

Bike runs well, pulls hard, etc. Runs better since lowering the float level. I have not looked up the intake spigot to check for a broken reed.

I haven't seen a two smoker that idles very long on its own.

Two-strokes will idle for as long as you want with proper tuning, though, it's not the best idea to idle them for long periods of time as they tend to load up.

Try playing around with your air screw/pilot jet. These can make a bike difference in the bike's idle speed. You can also tighten up the throttle cable, forcing the bike to idle. I suggest you play with the tuning before doing this, though.