Sign in to follow this  

3X3 4X3 4X4.....Does it make a difference??

I've heard of people on here going bigger than the 3x3 mod but does it really make a difference to open it up one more inch on each side? And if you do open it up more does this effect the jetting that's set with the 3x3 mod?

Here is the million dolla question... suppose one cuts a big ass hole and is able to tune it accordingly... will it make any more power than the 3x3?

Thats good to know, thanks eddie. I have mine just shy under 3x3 (mainly because I couldn't get it perfect) with your specific jetting specs.

Here is the million dolla question... suppose one cuts a big ass hole and is able to tune it accordingly... will it make any more power than the 3x3?

not with stock carb and motor.

not with stock carb and motor.

That should be in the FAQ with emphisis on exactly 3x3! :thumbsup:

it wouldnt be called 3x3 then.it would be called "cut your air box hole to whatever".

NO No its called the polka dot mod and you take a 1in hole saw and cut 17 1/4 holes throughout your airbox all of this= MAX Power :thumbsup:

sorry, i was thinking about shape-hole... :thumbsup:

Shape really has very little if any actual affect at these velocities.

I would say it(the size) makes a noticeable difference. I bought a used 03 and the guy cut the whole top off the box and didn't rejet. I re jetted and added a full yosh system, I noticed a huge improvement. I bought my wife an 05 and cut exactly a 3x3, re jetted and put on a fmf exhaust. Her bike was plain out faster than mine mod for mod. I reduced my 5x5? hole to 3x3 with a double layer of duct tape and it evened things out nicely, (I dint have to look at her brake light anymore!) My bike also seems to pull harder - a very noticeable improvement. I'm going to use some aluminum to make my 3x3 more permanent. :thumbsup:

search, my friend, search.... there are many pics and links posted within this section..

search, my friend, search.... there are many pics and links posted within this section..

what I did, covered the top of the airbox with masking tape and sketched out the hole, I did mine slightly larger then 2.75x3.25 to save the cdi mounting tabs (it's been 5 years since) used a 1/4" hole saw to cut the corners out then cut from hole to hole in tangent to create the finished hole. then filed the edges to make it alittle nicer.. I used a drywall saw but there are other medthods to do this

on the offroad model can't you just pull the snorkle out? it leave s a good sized hole there.

on the offroad model can't you just pull the snorkle out? it leave s a good sized hole there.

Sorry I have a S... unsure about the configuration of the E and K

Sorry I have a S... unsure about the configuration of the E and K

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the difference between the s and the k model and how do I tell what I have? :thumbsup:

a K model is a kick start dirt bike

an E model is the electric start dirt bike

an S model is the duel sport street legal

an SM is the street legal supermotard