Sign in to follow this  

Houston/Galveston/Clear Lake ect.

Went out to Pelican Island near Galveston yesterday, and I thought I post my observations:

Awesome place to get some seat time in if you don't want to drive all day! The area is comprised of spoil dredged up from the ship channel. It's kind of a man made levee system, so it has some minor hill climbs. (25 feet or so)

It rained there last Thursday, and there were some major bike swallowing mud holes (trust me, I found them all, and each one was encountered at high speed). Momentum was NOT my friend! The ******** with the 44 inch tires on their trucks keep the place pretty tore up. Once the place dries out though, I'm going back. It makes for some decent riding, it's nearby, and it's free! If anyone wants more info on the place, let me know, and if you plan on riding there, let me know when, and maybe we can meet up and ride together.

>>>>Hippie sends :thumbsup:

I think we miss each other by 1 day everywhere we ride! at Pelican,the trucks actually help pack the sandy soil after the rain clears out a bit, keeping the ruts manageable. NEVER ride past the levees, unless you want to be stuck in the ocean floor (disgusting black gumbo) except in the back by the bay in the sandy bowl. Bring your own shade.

I have been to pelican so many times... but I have never been off the pavement nor have I been on 2 wheels, so I'm thinking it's to the left?

Yep, as you go toward Sea Wolf Park. Just look for the trails going up the side of the levee. By the way, watch out for the wild pigs! Don't leave your Cheetos laying out on your tailgate...