Sign in to follow this  

Intake Valve Hitting piston !!!

I am working on a bike with a Takag 88 kit on it and the valves have been changed. The prob is the intake valve is hitting the piston and locking the motor! I have played with the cam timing advancing the cam and also retarding the cam by one tooth in either direction but the problem persists. I have re alinged the keyway and the 0 on the cam gear several times and came up with the same prob. So the question is What is the correct Overall length of the Intake valve? From bottom flange to the top of the rod. If anybody has any idea's on what could be the prob it would be a big help!!

Thanks Curtis

Did you happen to bump up the compression and change the cams to something with a lot more lift?

The prob is it's a friends bike and he bent a valve. He took it to a guy and the guy changed the valve but the bike never ran after that and now im like the thrid person to work on this bike and my friend dosn't know what the first guy did to it orginaly but as far as i know the cam piston and head are stock for the 88 takagawa kit. the only thing changed was the valves and I am wondering if the intake valve is to long and is hiting the piston because of it's length.

Something's out of whack, did the piston get swapped also? (Did someone slip a short rod piston on there?)

are you lining up the keyway on the crank w the mark on the case if so ur like 90 degrees out of time the key way needs to face foward

It could be as simple and the valves are adjusted way to the extremes. That would make the valve no close completely and stay open. If it's staying open too much, it will hit the piston. And sorry I don't know the length.

or its just the wrong valve. take it apart and find out whats wrong.

dont mess with cam timing, its either right or wrong.

Has the engine ever ran since the conversion was done and did it bend valves right away?

If it has never ran since the kit was installed then there is a compatability issue with the head and piston and you probably will need to replace the piston.