Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250- Can Pilot Jet be changed with Carb on Bike?

I will find out tonight when I get home; but was wondering if there is enough room (and cable slack) to rotate the carb enough to get to the pilot jet through the bowl drain.

If so it would be a lot quicker than removing the sub-frame etc. Want to test a #48 pilot vs the #50 I have in it for trail riding. I glanced this morning on the way to work and there might be enough room but not sure.

Yes, it is no problem. I needed a long, thin screwdriver. It was about 10 times easier when the countershaft guard and cover were removed.

Yes, it is no problem. I needed a long, thin screwdriver. It was about 10 times easier when the countershaft guard and cover were removed.

Good point; I noticed the cover was right up there possibly in the way.. :thumbsup: . Should have enough time to change it and test it tonight then!

Its EZ, no need to pull of carb. WAY EZ'er if you listen to RC and pull off C.S. guard. You can remove the carb without pullin off the subframe. Just squeeze out between the boots.

I'll be interested to hear how you like the 48 pilot. I had the chance a few weeks ago to go riding a couple of times mid week when the tracks are empty so I could just focus on the jetting for my 06 YZ250. The tracks that I ride here in So Cal. average about 1350' elevation. I found that the 48 pilot works very well in my bike when temps are above 85 degrees. Good luck with your testing. :thumbsup:

I'll be interested to hear how you like the 48 pilot. I had the chance a few weeks ago to go riding a couple of times mid week when the tracks are empty so I could just focus on the jetting for my 06 YZ250. The tracks that I ride here in So Cal. average about 1350' elevation. I found that the 48 pilot works very well in my bike when temps are above 85 degrees. Good luck with your testing. :thumbsup:

Gee, took 20 minutes including putting the bike on the stand and getting my tools (I am glad it doesn't require removing the carb or sub-frame; it does tilt just enough...). One quick ride on the property doesn't tell alot but its nice and snappy on our trails. With the 50 pilot I had been at 2 1/4 turns out on the air screw and it still seemed a bit rich. I've got the #48 and 1 1/2 now. I plan to go to the track Friday with my son; will see how it does there.

Speaking of jets, how the hell do they get the stock jets in so tight without stripping them??? Mine must been at near 100lb/ft or torque from the factory.

I have been running a 45-48 since the firs ttrip out. I think the 50 is just right for sea level, but at my elevation it is generally too much.