Changes in access in American Fork singletrack

Howdy all... A friend and I went riding this last weekend, and did one of my favorite loops in American Fork; took the singletrack and did route 040 to 157 to 171 and dropped down by Forest Lake.

However, in looking at the maps I just downloaded today from the Forest Service website, it appears that trails 040, 172, 041, etc are all bike, horse, and hiking only; NO motorized.

I'm positive that these were allowed access last summer. Did anyone else notice these changes? Or is the newer map incorrect? The ranger station doesn't even carry maps anymore.

Unfortunately for all of us I think it's a sign of the times. I was unaware of these closures, I've ridden that exact loop twice this year, the last of which was only two or three weeks ago and to my knowledge it was open to riders. I did have one jackass that we cordialy passed lay down branches in the middle of the trail so that we got caught up in them on the 041 on a hill climb. ? Anyway as I was saying unfortunately wether this trail still remains open or not is only a temporary issue I believe in the near future we will be banned from this area permanently, but that's just prophesy from quick1nick and hopefully I'm wrong because I love that area. The trail map I used was given to me at the fee station inside the pamphlet they give out after you pay and I'm nearly 100% sure those trails where open on that map! I know who could shed some light on this particular topic is Wakin, you out there man!?

In the link to the map there is a reference to the year "2004." The trails were closed at that time. I don't know the whole story but it sounded like the closure was illegal. The current map shows them as open to dirtbikes & I did get verbal verification from the toll booth this spring that the trail system is open to dirtbikes. We can only hope it stays this way.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/interactive_maps/summer_travel/http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/interactive_maps/summer_travel/

The map of AF on this link is dated October 2004 but shows those trails open. The previous map is dated August of 2004. I haven't ever been up this canyon for some reason but am really trying to go soon. I hope we can keep it open. If someone knows a 2006 map that'd be great!

kincade - this isn't the exact map they hand out but it shows the open trails...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/interactive_maps/summer_travel/maps/02_cascade.pdf

I'd suggest printing it & carrying a copy. It seems as the fall gets closer & the hunts start (archery this weekend) we see more horses. Just like dirtbikers, there are a few that are a$$es & will give you a hard time.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an older thread but with the rapid snow melt in the area we'll be riding there really soon. The posted signs at the Summit parking area and the sign at Mill Springs both had a sign on the maps indicating that those trails were now open to motorized bikes. Specifically 040, 041, 173, and others. I dont have the map in front of me. Two years ago I ran into the USFS trail crew guys that were clearing the AF Canyon trails, and they indicated that the forest plan had changed and that the trails were now open. This past summer I found a new map at the Heber Ranger district (Uinta Nat. Forest) titled Summer Travel plan. It was about 7-9 bucks and is really nice. This map had a more recent revision date than the AF trail map on their website.:eek: It too indicates those trails as being open to motorized vehicles. Last year while riding up 041? from Tibble Fork Res. a horse riding couple stopped us and told us to get off that trail.? We all stayed calm and cool and told him of our knowledge of the area as well as my previous employment with the Uinta Nat. forest. He kept insisting that we were wrong. His wife had start telling him to cool it? and back off. Then the ass open up a side bag to the saddle to reveal the stock of shotgun! He calmed down, we left.? Once at the top I tried to call the Forest Service. But it was Sunday. But I did get a hold of Wasatch Co. Sheriff and Utah Co. Sheriff. Both departments were furious with this dudes behavior and claimed to heading towards the tibble fork parking/staging area.? I hope that they found him. But who knows.:applause: Anyway ride away in AF Canyon.

Let's be sure not to ride TOO soon up there! Even after the snow is melted the mountain is pretty wet... Last year a few people put some pretty good ruts in the mountain while riding and caused some significant damage...

Thanks for the info.

Last year we rode June 3 & though the lower portions were in good shape there were still some deep mud holes & the trails were impassable due to fall-down (unless you want to drag your bike over trees all day). I agree, let's not get up there too quick & do damage. I doubt it will be rideable before the end of May even under the best circumstances. We definately don't want to lose this trail system.

I think the Hobble Creek trails may be rideable a couple weeks sooner than AF Canyon?

Always carry a map with you & I've even mentioned to a few a-holes on horses if they are ignorant enough to think we are up there illegal, what makes them sure that they are legal to have horses up there.

Hard to say really. We're supposed to get another storm this week, and it really depends on what kind of precip we have between now and then. Last year I didnt' consider it rideable (without inflicting damage) until late June/early July...

I think Hobble is lower elevation, but I haven't spent too much time up there. I'll have to check that out a bit more this summer!

We always carry the maps with us! If for no other reason, to make sure we're staying on the right trails that are open.

Let's be sure not to ride TOO soon up there! Even after the snow is melted the mountain is pretty wet... Last year a few people put some pretty good ruts in the mountain while riding and caused some significant damage...

Thanks for the info.

Seeing the snow melt on the hills has me excited! Getting my bike tuned and ready to roll has me excited! My intent was to let people know that its OK to ride the trails mentioned above. I did not say that was going to ride there tomarrow, this month, or next month.:bonk:

The trail damage last year was extensive... I'd suggest waiting until late May early June... even up Hobble Creek.

If you want to do some earlier riding, maybe Stansbury would be good. The soil is much rockier and seems to dry out earlier. Plus the riding is really great.