Sign in to follow this  

Riding alone doesn't work

Last year some of my buddies told me about a new practice only track that had opened up. They wanted to go riding there so of course I had to get in a few practice sessions before we went so that I wouldn't have to take any crap from them about learning a new track and running their pace. After a few trips, I actually started to like the place. It has a real MX feel. Long laps, quite a few jumps (that are all rider safe), and one or two big table tops that are fun to push myself on. Since I was new to the four stroke this track provided the perfect setting for me to learn the new bike and pick up my overall speed. I've been riding there ever since.

The only problem with this track is that no-one else goes there to practice on Thursday. There are times when it is just me and the lady at sign-up. This was perfect when I wanted to focus on the bike and speed, but now I'm kinda just going round and round. SO, I switched back to my previous track. I'm glad that I took the time on the new track because my riding has improved overall, but the track that I have switched back to gets a little crowded. There is everything from pewee's to B level National riders. So at one moment you are passing a 6 year old who can't do any jumps, and the next minute you have Joe National poser running up on you on the inside and pushing you wide.

I was soooooooo nervous riding with people again. Moving through traffic was such a twist that I was totally off. I was keeping the bike in second and over revving it. I kept stalling in the turns. I was getting tight and just couldn't get my rhythm down.

After a couple of times at the new track (which is actually my old track) I'm back up to speed. I feel good again and have started to push myself forward. BUT I really found it interesting how different it felt to go back to riding in a pack after being all alone for a year. I do miss riding on my own, but I think that I am going to stay in the hunt from now on.

Anyone else run into a problem riding with people after being on your own?

Yeah, riding alone was really creepy at first but I got used to it. My local riding park is open on weekdays and weekend from April to October (midwest). When school is in the place is pretty empty, it was nice to practice technique but... Also I found out that I wasn't pushing myself as much as I thought.

By the summer weekends the place can be packed and like you said, you've got little kids going slow and wanna bees flying everywhere. Getting back in the mix was a little hairy at first but it was what I needed. I guess the coolest thing is getting a little of both if you can, it is really worth it!

Yeah, riding alone was really creepy at first but I got used to it. My local riding park is open on weekdays and weekend from April to October (midwest). When school is in the place is pretty empty, it was nice to practice technique but... Also I found out that I wasn't pushing myself as much as I thought.

By the summer weekends the place can be packed and like you said, you've got little kids going slow and wanna bees flying everywhere. Getting back in the mix was a little hairy at first but it was what I needed. I guess the coolest thing is getting a little of both if you can, it is really worth it!

Back when I used to ride tracks consistently, the real drawback I found in riding alone was just as the Dirtman said....I found I wasn't going nearly as fast as I thought. Didn't take long on the track with others to find that one out! It was still a positive thing though, I made big improvements to my technique and confidence.

Gotta agree also.....

I remember after riding alone for some time, and going back to the track when crowded; I nearly Crapped my pants when a really good "A" rider when flying at my head level with his footpegs a couple feet away..that brought me back to reality about the difference in riding alone vs. with others.

I'm wondering the same.

I know I'm gonna 'soil' myself if the answer is yes, but I gotta know. The curiosity is killin' me....is C.O.C.R. still running races in central Ohio?

i ride alone all the time. i dont really prefer it but u gotta do what u gotta do. of course i always know at least a few of the people at the track. i like when someone is there to keep me motivated. dad hasnt come to the track to do that in a long time. it really helps

i hate riding alone. its fine for a little while to get used to the track conditions and such, but then it gets boring. i ride way faster when i have someone im trying to race with. the other thing i have noticed about practicing alone is when im in a race i find it hard to pass people. im so used to just riding the same line that when i have to change lines to get around someone who is slower it throws me off.

not to mention it takes a lot longer to get help if you hurt yourself if there isnt anyone around.

you see its the opposite for me, when im alone i can stay focused and what not, and am not sooo afraid of making mistakes, whereas when im riding with my other racing friends, who are mostly 125 B, or 125A im 125 C i am to caught up in trying to watch them and what not, i end up slowing down. idk thats just how it is for me...