Sign in to follow this  

hill climb question..

I have a kx100 and I ride mostly trails with my bf. I'm pretty small (short, petite), and my bike is perfect for me exept that its a tiny bit too tall. Anyways I love to do hill climbs but if I don't make it up, I'm stuck and I have to have my bf help me. When I don't make it up the hill and I lift my bike back up and I'm holding it on the hill I feel like the bike is huge, its going to fall on top of me, I'm going to tumble down the hill, etc.. I need help in learning how to turn my bike around and head back down the hill. I feel like I depend on him too much to help me down and I start feeling bad so I don't do the hillclimbs as much as I'd like because I don't want him to have to rescue me all the time...

Any pointers??

Just a simple man's humble opinion here, but you wouldn't be asking if that weren't what you were looking for.....

Seems to me that your primary focus, effort and time should be spent on learning to complete the hill climb, rather than concentrating solely on getting stuck before the top and getting back down. Kinda gives you a psychological negative target fixation....the example that comes to mind is: when I'm riding a trail, if I'm focused on the individual rock, or rut, or root...then it's almost guaranteed that I'm going to hit it because of target fixation...you aim at what your looking at. Not just physically, but mentally also.

Granted, noone makes every hill every time, but if you're focused on getting to the top instead of the stall, your certain to make the top alot more consistently...and that's what you really want, right? :thumbsup:

But, for the times that I haven't made the top I've found it much easier to manipulate the bike if I stay on the uphill side of it, then I don't have to work as hard, because I don't have the weight of the bike on me.

Hope this helped without putting you to sleep!

shafe

Everyone feels that "lack of control" when they don't make a hill climb. You may weigh a little too much for such a small bike. A KX100 isn't a good "hill climber". LOL If you don't make it up however, stand on the left side of the bike with your right hand braking (while the bike is facing up the hill). Keep the front brake on, turn the handlebars all the way left. The let off the brake slowly and let the bike fall behind you until the bike is perpendicular with the trail. Then just get on it and ride down.

Let him help you. Nothing wrong with getting some help instead of hurting yourself. My buddies Usualy helpe me up after I crash. By the way I would kill for a girlfriend who rode a kx100!! Have fun

Dedicate a day to hillclimbing. Start with small hills and gradually working your way up. Find hills with a good run and practice the same hill with a very small run. Put yourself in every possible situation. It will help out a great deal.

How far are you away from Carnegie? I go there soley to practice hillcliming.

Sonobob is right....and don't doubt what a KX100 can do. I rode a KX100 up until I was about 155 pounds and made it up some crazy hills....still on the bike. Once you get your clutch hand in shape, it's all easier.

... I need help in learning how to turn my bike around and head back down the hill....

Any pointers??

Here is the technique I use. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Suppose your bike is down, more or less heading up hill and you are off it. Do the following to turn your bike downhill:

Kill the engine and leave in gear. Get on the uphill side (and off the bike). Hands on the front brake and clutch. Slowly roll the bike backwards while turning front wheel into hill, until the bike is 45 degrees off center (and you still on uphill side). Then with clutch out and front wheel locked, with bike still laying on its uphill side, rock the front wheel back and forth--which will cause the front wheel to slide/walk down the hill. Keep this up until the bike is pointing mostly downhill (still on it's side).

Then while still holding front brake and clutch out (locking both wheels), lift the bike upright. That might be the hardest physical part of the task--but there is a tradeoff on how close to downhill you point the bike before you lift it (the more off the downhill line, the easier to lift the bike but the harder to control it once it is up).

Hope this makes sense. After you make it work one time you'll see that it is as easy (or not) to turn the bike as it is to get it back down the hill. Just be sure to get on the uphill side, off the bike, and rock the front wheel back and forth, thereby sliding the front wheel down to turn the bike downwards, until it is mostly heading downhill before you try to remount. And always put your own safety above that of the bike!

When you get stuck on a hill get off to either side what ever is comfortable in your situation then grab your rear fender and pull the clutch in and don't worry you won't roll down if you hold the rear fender and just pull the clutch in and let your bike roll backwards and cut the wheel and it will do a backwards U turn, turning you around in a precise postion and then you can ride it down.

Another dirty trick, when the bike is on it's side from failing to make the climb.

leave it on it's side, grab the front tire and pull it down hill. Once pointed almost downhill , you can lift the bike with it in gear,engine off, clutch out, and hold front brake. Climb on, pull in clutch and let off front brake and coast it down the hill. You can either popstart it on the way down or when you have coasted to a comfortable place to stop you can kick it to start it.

A side note to clerify, when you pull the front wheel down, pull it in the direction so that the seat is uphill. If you go the other way the bike will be upside down and much harder to lift.

I have the same issue at times (I'm 22 and also ride a KX100)...there isn't always (from my experience) a graceful way to get the bike back down the hill. One thing I do suggest is to drag/walk the bike back around till it's facing downhill and you're in a good spot to ride it the rest of the way back down. Too many times I've tried to just hop back on and ride it down, thus crashing my way back to the bottom in addition to the crash I just had on the way up. Assuming you clutch the bike (which I'm still learning) and stay on the gas these little bikes will go up lots of hills. I've found most of the time the best way to get the bike headed back down hill is just to drag/muscle it around (on a side note I'm 5'1 and about 110lbs) so the amount of muscle I can put into the situation is limited. But these bikes are pretty little and easy to deal with (until I get really tired). There are plently of times that I could maybe use some help from my b/f, but even as ugly as my method of getting it turned around and back down the hill may be in the end I'm proud of myself. I also feel more comfortable knowing that when I race and am out there on the trail without someone right there with me, I can get myself out of most situations that I've crashed my way into. If you have other questions dont hesitate to ask. :thumbsup:

or if your in a rut in the hill and no place to turn around just stand it up and clutch it and walk it backwards till you hit a flat area to turn around.

Everyone feels that "lack of control" when they don't make a hill climb. You may weigh a little too much for such a small bike. A KX100 isn't a good "hill climber". LOL If you don't make it up however, stand on the left side of the bike with your right hand braking (while the bike is facing up the hill). Keep the front brake on, turn the handlebars all the way left. The let off the brake slowly and let the bike fall behind you until the bike is perpendicular with the trail. Then just get on it and ride down.

The kx 100 is a great hill bike, i ride a 2004 in the mini harescrambles classe for NETRA so please dont tell me otherwise.. Alright so how tall are you, weight, etc.. im 5' 8" and im almost flat footed on it. Spring chicken gave a good example on how to turn the bike back around though, and keep trying those hills, you'll get better. :thumbsup:

In addition to the good tips you've been given I'd suggest practicing doing turns on hills and that will help to get used to maneuvering the bike around when you know you're not going to make it. It's like the others said, find smaller (wider) climbs and work your way up. Practice turning back down on both sides.

I definitely use the "wedge the wheel" method as it's the only way I can kick start sometimes. Also, last week I dug it in and it was actually easier to just stand beside the bike and wheelie it over so it was facing downhill, rather than drag it around. Whatever.

I'm finally getting a bit better with bike handling skills and it makes a huge difference in the effort you have to put out. Especially when the bike outweighs you 2:1! I've heard the KX100 is a great 2 stroke trail bike.

I think a lot of people just get on and ride and forget to practice skills.

Take a class if you can. I spent a day at motoventures (www.motoventures.com) and the instructors there give perfect tips to going uphill, downhill and removing yourself from being stuck on a hill.

Then they demostrate, watch you practice and work with you.

It was worth the $200. You should try it to help jumpstart your learning process.

How old are you? You sound young or even female. However, you type like an adult. I smell a joker! LOL

Well she stated that she had a boyfriend...but these days, you never know lol

Several of the others have made good comments, but one additional trick I'd recommend is to learn how to turn the bike 90 degrees to the right or left BEFORE you lose momentum going up. To do that (assuming there's room on the trail), just turn left or right and just lean the bike uphill and dismount.

Then the bike is halfway turned around already. Hold onto the front brake and get the bike pointed back down the hill (if it's really steep, grab the back fender/handhold too and pull the back wheel uphill), and you should be able to get back on and ride down!

This is a whole lot easier than running out of speed and jumping off still pointed uphill, and having the bike start rolling/sliding backwards...

Very well done, CAVSCOUT! Exactly what we were all saying. Much easier to understand with pic's.....

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause::applause::applause: