Sign in to follow this  

Slimey Taylor trails

Hey all,

Some friends and I are going to be arriving Sunday at Taylor for 3 days of riding. I'm watching the weather and want to find out what specific trails are recommended to avoid after a big rain. I would rather not get any of my group injured riding slimey trails and also don't want us to tear up the trails.

I hear the Waterfall trail is one to avoid, any others I need to watch out for if we get rained on? I've been on alot of the trails, but never when they've seen alot of rain.

The Gunnison Spur trail is slimy when wet, not all of it but a couple of sections can be a b@tch if wet.

Lillypond was a little wet last week. Dried quickly though. Made the rocks tough to navigate.

We rode the Gunny spur Sunday after rain both the night before and on the morning of the ride. It was wet, muddy, and there were a lot of wet tree roots. The rocky sections weren't really a problem, but it would have been better if we had stayed off it for a day to let it dry.

Lily Pond was very wet but since it's mostly rocks the trail was in pretty good shape and traction was still good.

Star was mostly dry when we rode it except the shady north facing slopes, especially the downhill switchbacks near the north trailhead. The uphill climb, going north about a mile or so after you pass Mysterious Lake, would be pretty tough if wet.

Most of the Spring Creek area was in great shape, except the downhill switchbacks on 420 were a little wet, and will be a lot wetter after all of the rain that fell later in the week.

Thanks for the link. Some good info there. Looks like trying to come up with loops for 3 full days of riding is going to be tough if the rain keeps up. I have some homework to do. The current CBTR report is 3 weeks old.

I'm open to any loop suggestions from you guys that ride/know the area better than I, if things stay wet. I can come up with loops just fine when I know things are going to be dry and can probably come up with some loops for when it's wet, given all the info you guys have provided, but I'll still bow to your experience/suggestions.

Thanks

Hey Derrek- This is Jen. We seem to be in a weather pattern where we get a bit of rain each day; some days more than others. Last weekend, we rode Dr. Parks, Dead Man Gulch, Block-n-Tackle, Lilly Pond, all of Timberline, and played around on Star. The puddles were deep in spots and the roots were wet in spots, but it was all great fun! Here are some pics from last weekend:

Taylor Park Pics

Ya'll have fun up there this weekend!

Thanks for the pics link Jen. I looked at all 4 days.

So you rode all of the Timberline? And the Star Trail huh? Wow, you're awesome girl! Like you said, the trails looked in good shape except for a few places. I'm going to send this link to my friends that are doing the ride with me, show them what they're in for.

Another question or 2.

Does the Trading Post sell the Colorado OHV stickers? I have a guy that has decided to come at the last minute and since we're coming up on a Sunday, I don't know that there will be anyplace open to get one. I'm having him look into printing off a temp permit online since he's had one in the past, he's in the system.

Does the Post sell fishing licenses?

Wow Jen those are some great pics, thanks for sharing. I live in Colorado but have never ridden Taylor Park. Looks like a must do.

Hey Dave,

I rode with Derek and the boys from TX this week at Taylor and unfortunately I hit a rock wrong 25 miles into the ride and crushed my headers, tore apart my oil cover and right side cover. I “just” made it to the road before I ran out of oil and got a tow back to camp (by a KTM). I ordered my parts (almost $400.00 worth) from Service Honda that Derek suggested I get my parts from. Do you or Mike have any rides in the works that I can join you on once my XR is back on the trail? To all who helped me in my predicament of being stranded on the trail and helping me get out, I thank you all and I wish that things went differently and that I didn’t hold up the ride as long as I did. S#%$ happens I guess. The worst part was sitting back at camp knowing that all you guys were having fun on the trail without me. Hummm, perhaps I need to bring an extra bike next time. Wish I could have spent more time with Derek,Tim and the guys. I felt like I hardly had time to catch up on life.

Adam D