Sign in to follow this  

Voltage regulator output

I have a Joe Racer product dual sport kit installed on my Honda XR400 2000 for a couple of years now. What is the normal voltage regulator output? My meter reading is 3 to 4 volts DC at idling speed. Is this correct? :thumbsup:

Yes, that's normal. Your voltage regulator is more properly thought of as a voltage limiter. Therefore, since alternator output is relative to engine speed, you need to increase engine RPM to at least 2500 before measuring regulator voltage.

For example, the testing procedure in my XR400R manual requires 3000 rpm, for a measured voltage of 12.5 to 13.5 at the regulator output (A.C. voltage).

Unless there is a diode between the regulator and the battery, the regulator outpout is the battery voltage and should be between 12 and 14.5 volts depending on stator current output at idle and the load current.

sounds like you have just a regulator. Your lighting coil charges in AC voltage. If you want to charge a battery you will need a Regulator/rectifier. This will convert your AC to DC voltage.

i think i can answer this one.i'm working on a a coulple of old dualsport bikes an 82 xl 500 and a 78 xt 500.i am converting them from 6 to 12 volt with a tympanium regulator which is what usually gets sold with most dualsport kits. the reason you're not getting more than 3 to 5 volts out of the regulator is that the system needs a battery attached to it . if there is no battery the regulator won't allow anything out .with a battery in the system with the engine off the meter should read 12 to 12.5 static voltage.with the engine running if all is right it should read anywhere from 13.5 to no more than 14.8 volts at speed.hope this helps out.