Sign in to follow this  

Back tire screwed

On my way out to have some fun I picked up a sheet metal screw in my rear tire. This ended the fun I was about to have. Anyway, I have an 05 DRZ-400SM with stock everything. I was looking at the tire and noticed it said that it was tubeless. My mind started racing. How can a spoked wheel have a tubeless setup? Is it true? I really don't want to buy a new tire but I will in the name of safety. But if this thing has a tube in it or I can put a tube in it, I would rather go that route. What would you guys do? Thanks for the info in advance.

It does have a tube in it.

Just replace the tube and you are good to go.

There are tubeless spoke wheels out there but you won't find them on a stock dr-z. You can make your spoke wheels tube less if you want there are some cheap ways and there is the good way with carbon fiber heat shrink tape!

I don't need to go tubeless. My rear tire only has 2000 miles on it and it has a puncture so the most cost effective solution is to slap a tube in it. Money is an object for me. On another note, when it comes time to replace my tires, do you guys suggest a fatter rear tire or should I stick with stock?

I don't know if you should go wider but I do know get a good tire.

The tires that come stock really suck when you replace it with a good one and there are a lot of good tires out there you will be amazed at how fast the bike will be in the turns and how much more confidence you will have with the bike.

Have fun.