Sign in to follow this  

Good riding around Pagosa/Durango

Where is a good place to start?Any suggestions are appreciated.Looking for good woods/singletrack stuff.

Thanks.

Hermosa Creek trail north of Durango or the Aspen loop trail area near Mancos which is west of Durango Aspen loop trail is an Atv trail and it is 40 miles long but there is singletrack in the area also be sure you are registerted or get a Colorado permit :thumbsup:

Here's some trail info that I cut and pasted from some pm's I've sent over the last couple of years regarding riding around Durango. A lot of the riding is on jeep roads though:

There's lots of good places to ride. I'm 53 years old and not real aggressive so I tend to take it kinda easy and we ride a lot of the 4-wheel drive roads around Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, and Lake City area. From Silverton there are a lot of high elevation jeep roads of varying difficulty that you can ride. You can make a round trip to Lake City via Cinnamon and Engineer Passes. Or you could ride Stony Pass toward Creede and back. These 4-wheel drive roads will be in the 9-12,000' elevation range. California Gulch, Corkscrew Gulch, and Poughkeepsie Gulch are some of the popular and challenging high altitude jeep roads in this area.

Black Bear Pass into Telluride is one of the more difficult and scenic rides. You would probably want to start near the top of Red Mountain Pass. You could then come back over either Imogene Pass or Ophir Pass to where you started. Or you could start in Ouray, go over Black Bear to Telluride and then Imogene back to Ouray. These routes require you to ride on some paved highway and therefore require license plates. Black Bear is one way and at one location can be quite challenging depending on your ability level. You can also ride a lot of 4-wheel drive roads between these towns, some are some pretty rocky knarly roads. Get a copy of the Drake Mountain map for Silverton, Telluride, and Ouray. There are several loops and many side trips that are well illustrated on this map. One trip that looks very interesting to me is the route over Hurricane Pass north of Silverton - mainly because I have lived here for 25 years and never heard of it before! I hope to get to ride it this summer.

However, around Purgatory Ski Area (Durango Mountain Resort) you have several choices of places to go to ride singletrack. One ride right from Pugatory is to go into the Hermosa Park area and ride the Hermosa Creek trail south toward Durango. It's about 20 miles of singletrack each way so the entire trip (roundtrip) including jeep roads would be ~50 miles if you start at the ski area parking lot. I stay away from this trail on my motorcycle because you will encounter a fair amount of mountain bikers, but lots of people ride it anyway. This ride would be in the 7-10,000' elevation range. The five miles on either end of this trail are relatively easy, but the ten miles in the middle I thought was pretty challenging when I rode it last 4th of July. Not so much because it's a killer trail, but more because the side slopes are so steep that if you do go off the 8-12" wide trail you and your motorcycle may end up tumbling 300-500' down into Hermosa Creek! A little too exciting for me (it had more exposure than I remembered from riding it on my mountain bike) but you might really enjoy it and lots of guys do ride it.

If the Hermosa Creek trail is to your liking then there are several challenging side trips that you can do as well. Get a San Juan Forest Service map and you will see Dutch Creek, Jones Creek, Clear Creek and other trails in this area that you could try. Another popular area is west of Durango and north of Mancos called the Aspen Loop Trail. This is a series of loops, some singletrack too (Chicken Creek), that are mainly ATV trails (kinda a double track). When I went there last year there had been a wind storm the week before and my friend and I must have jumped over 30-40 fallen Aspen trees across the trail before the day was done! Pretty fun for this old guy!

And you could visit with the local dealers Handlebar Cycle (Yamaha and Honda ) @ 970-247-0845 or the Fun Center (KTM, Suzuki and Kawasaki) @ 970-259-1070. I'm sure that they would have some good suggestions. You might also try the local San Juan Trail Riders Assoc. for more information - there's a lot of much better riders in that group than me!: San Juan Trail Riders

Have fun riding!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the good info, hopefully I'll be able to get up there soon.

Hey 66 FLH dont forget that the Rally in The Rockies will be going on up here over Labor Day weekend motels and camp spots will be hard to find and this year the rally has been moved from Ignatio Co. to Mancos Co.

Me & the wife have been going to Ignacio since it started.Tired of all the bull$hit and club crap.Not to mention all of the R.U.B.'s.That's why I'm gonna enjoy myself this year and ride the 300 in the Mtns.

thanks though