Sign in to follow this  

YZ's crappy chain??????

I have seen alot of random comments on this site about how much the yamaha stock chains suck. I have an 06 yz250, bought it in December of 05 and haven't had any problem w/ it. I ride farily aggressive and keep the slack in spec. Just wondering what sucks w/ the chain.

Thanks

The fact that you have to "keep the slack in spec" is what sucks...

I havent adjusted my X-ring chain in a 2 months... and I burn 3-1/2 gallons a weekend.

Once you get a decent chain, it will usually stretch once. The first ride after installing it. You rarely touch them again.

You dont even need to spend a lot of money. We just added one of the Primary Drive gold chains from Rocky Mountain. I believe it was 35-40 bucks. It took everything my chain breaker had to shorten it. I was very impressed with the quality.

The factories buy chain in giant rolls. The same chain goes on most all of the dort bikes. 125, 250, 450, whatever. It probably costs them 2-3 bucks, if that. The stock chains will also break once they stretch enough. This makes the cost of an aftermarlet seam cheap compared to the repairs needed after the stock one takes a dump.

I used my stock chain from my 06 to go on the old 97 when I was selling it. As the guy bought the bike I felt bad and switched it out. It was obvious he was going to run the chain to death. With the stock model, that would have been a few weeks-months.

Once you get a decent chain, it will usually stretch once. The first ride after installing it. You rarely touch them again.

You dont even need to spend a lot of money. We just added one of the Primary Drive gold chains from Rocky Mountain. I believe it was 35-40 bucks. It took everything my chain breaker had to shorten it. I was very impressed with the quality.

The factories buy chain in giant rolls. The same chain goes on most all of the dort bikes. 125, 250, 450, whatever. It probably costs them 2-3 bucks, if that. The stock chains will also break once they stretch enough. This makes the cost of an aftermarlet seam cheap compared to the repairs needed after the stock one take sa dump.

I bought a primary drive too, seems to be holding up quite nicely, but they gave me the wrong size master link and i had to use a dremel tool to make it fit together :thumbsup:

I have a stock chain from my YZ250 sitting on the shelf...only one ride on it (break in ride). They scare me.

So when I order a chain can I get the same length as stock or do I have to order a chain breaker and cut to size??

stock is 111 links + joint

A table grinder will work too for cutting the chain down. Most chains come with 120 links your bike calls for umm 114 or 116 i forgot because i buy good chains and i don't replace them very often. But you can order precut chains like a 520/116. The 520 is the size of the chain and the 116 is how many links it was cut to Simple. Update i check the stock link count is 114 but 116 will do if you like your tire to be outback more,

You could order pre-cut chains, but after a while i find having the tool is a lot more valuable. My opinion, invest in the chain breaker now and you will be happy later. :thumbsup:

I kinda think guys could at least wait untill the orig chain has stretched out, I find that keeping it oiled and cleaned is the key. Everybody says its a "cheap" chain, but I don't believe its cheap, just not as good a there are out there. :ride: Never broke a chain and never heard of anyone breaking a DID H/D chain either,(unless not maintained for loooong time) Am replacing mine when sprockets wear enough to replace all 3 . Remember unless ur a Jame Steward type pro, the chains that Yamaha puts on the 250 is quite sturdy enough. Don't let em scare ya. :thumbsup:

TechMc

2006 YZ250V

2003 YZ450F (parting out)

Its not a scare tactic, really. Just a smart tactic. The stock chain kills the stock sprockets. Buy buying a good chain EARLY you save this cost. In fact you can get years out of the sprockets if you follow this method. No need to replace unless your changing sizes.

James stewart never rides more than one moto on a good chain.

I wouldnt use the stock chain off my 06 . If i did i would spend more time adjusting the chain than riding the bike

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock chain on the bike.

It has more than enough tensile strength to handle the bikes power, and it is build well.

The only reason folks find these chains junk, is because they don't take good care of them.

I know this will start a firestorm, but it is fact.

You can get lots of good riding with the stock equipment. It only takes proper cleaning/adjustments/lubrication to make them last.

To be "scared" of a chain on a new bike is silly. There is nothing to be scared of, nor is there any evidence that you could point to that would show them to be faulty.

The stock chain will do nothing to the sprockets, not until it grows from wear. And you can keep them from growing from wear by taking good care of them.

I've done it, and know folks who do it all the time.

There are a couple of guys who buy $30 standard chains from me every year. They ride 250cc motocross most every weekend, and some practice through the week. They get a full racing season out of the $30 chain. But, they are very careful to make proper adjustments, keep the chain clean, and lube it regularly with proper lube.

Their stuff lasts.

If we can do it, so can you.

None of us have magic wands that we wave over the chains, it's just a matter of proper care.

Now, if it just couldn't be done...and this sort of equipment just can't be made last by anyone, then I would possibly agree that the equipment is junk. But, that is not the case. Many riders enjoy lots of good hours with standard equipment.

Many others can't get that sort of life out of their equipment...

Now, if some can and some can't....something must be up, right?

Well RC, maybe your right there, have replaced 1 front sprkt and the chain once, and now am going to replace all 3 but I should go with a better chain, but can stick to stock yamaha, or Sunstar sprockets. Thats what I'm gonna do then, the chain does seam to wear faster that rear sprokt and front. I'll go with the Regina RX3 chain this time around, but Sunstar sprockets. :thumbsup: Oh yea, I don't mind adjusting my chain, once after the ride or race, lets me look over the rear end of the bike while i'm there.!!

2006 YZ250V

2003 YZ450F (parting out)

for God's sake will someone with an hour meter put one of those POS chains on their bike and follow the advice here on lubing it and tell us the truth!!!!

That would be nice to see. Some real info. Not just , "The chain sucks"

Still, I believe the chain sucks. I used the stock chain for 4 hours. Just long enough to break in the bike and make a trip to Rocky Mountain for an ert2. I installed it on my old yz 250 and sold the bike.

I adjusted the chain twice. Riding time would be 1-1/2 hours between adjustments.

I then added the ert2. I adjusted it after the first ride. Thats it. I have not touched it again. Total time on the bike is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 hours. This is not guess time but hour meter time. Anyone who does not have an hourmeter is crazy. These things are awesome, and cheap. Mine was 30.00 at sears. It let me know just how few hours I put on the bike per day, or reminded me how lazy I was.

Based on this limited testing, I feel the stock chain is probably better than a piece of crap. I did not break it, for sure. The adjustment interval seamed rather short.

I admit to not using my MX 100 lube on the chain. I knew I was going to replace the chain and did not want to waste it.

I bought a bottle of this chainlube from Jay at the start of 2003. I have yet to use 1/2 of the bottle. It is dirt cheap to use. The chain stays clean.

I applied too much to a brand new tag sprocket I purchased. The tag sprocket has this rather dull and ugly dry anodized finished. The mx 100 lube actually made this sprocket look better. It penetrated the surface of the sproket. The color change is permanent and doe snot was off.

I should also note this sprocket with the ert2 and mx 1000 lube showed no wear after 7 hours of use. Good stuff.

MMMMMM......take it for what its worth fella's :thumbsup: I ride my stuff pretty hard, not good....but hard. bought my 250 in January and I ride every week, sometimes twice and 3 1/2 months of that was Glamis sand. I'm sure for alot of riders out there the stock stuff might be crap. For me its been holdin up great. Only adjusted the chain once or twice same as with a renthal

chain. Both sprockets still look good and no slap from the chain.

I do clean it every ride and lube the piss out of it with WD40 and chain lube. For me so far so good, and I have a Renthal works chain and sprocket set since February that I have been waitin to put on it.

I used to buy them Standard chains along time ago when i was on 125s and i noticed after i bought one good DID gold chain that a Good racing chain unlubed will outlast a standard chain that is keeped lubed.. I hate lube all over my bike so i use NONE just WD40 after a wash. Call me crazy but i get a year out of X-ring chains on my YZ250 with no crazy super tacky all over my bike lube.

Here in sandy florida chains last longer if they are not lubed. Just slightly lubed with WD-40 after a wash to avoid rusting and thats all it needs.

If you lube the chain then dirt sticks and kills the chain, also the bike gets that nasty crap all over it. Even if you let the lube dry up nicely it still will attract more dirt than a chain thats very clean.