Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Cam Chain

I just bought a very nice '96 XR400. It had some engine noice when purchaced and i knew it was one of two things, either valves (hopefully :thumbsup: ) or camchain and head (ive had problems with camchains and heads, dang XR200's :ride: ). So i got it home, cleaned it up, looked over, the bike is in great condition, very few hours (almost all of the paint is left on the crankcase covers and sides of the frame :applause: ). Took it to the shop hoping it was the valves, he new immediatly it was the cam chain :applause: . He checked the valves, and they were spot on. Tore into it and it was the cam chain. New cam chain on the way. Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their cam chains going bad or what the cause of one going bad was?

Thanks

I know they wear. I replaced mine after a couple of seasons. I would guess heat and iffy lubrication are the cause. Sorry, if you already have one ordered, but clicky here for a cheaper alternative.

The OEM 02' CRF450R cam chain is a popular upgrade on the TRX400EX (which uses the exact same chain as the XR). The CRF chain is the same except it has an extra set of side plates--stronger. Plus it's like $30 instead of $70. A win-win situation.

The OEM 02' CRF450R cam chain is a popular upgrade on the TRX400EX (which uses the exact same chain as the XR). The CRF chain is the same except it has an extra set of side plates--stronger. Plus it's like $30 instead of $70. A win-win situation.

:thumbsup: Good to know! :ride: