Sign in to follow this  

problem

yesterday i got my mom to go pick me up some brake fluid and i told her to get dot 4 and she came home with dot 3. and me being smart never checked and changed the front brake fluid in my bike and put in dot 3 fluid :applause::ride: what can i do to fix this or do i have to take it in and get the brake system flushed? :applause::thumbsup:

yea...i wouldnt think their would be to much diffrence in them. and i definitly dont think it will hurt it if thats what your asking. but i think dot 3 will work but dot 4 will give the best preformance i geuss????....idk jsut my thoughts on it.

DOT 3 and DOT4 fluids are compatible and a little of one in the other is no big deal. They are both glycol based fluids. Even though this article goes into DOT5 (silicone based fluid) it pretty much says 3 & 4 are compatible. Personnaly, I would decide on which one to run, flush the system with it, and fill to the proper level.

http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

or check out this site:

www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

ok so now that i got that figured out. how do you get the fluid back threw the lines? :thumbsup: on the internet it has some weird way of doing it i dont understand :ride:

You have to bleed you brakes. Fill it up, pump the brake several times and then hold it and crack the bleeder bolt(sorry i dont know what its called) open just enough to shoot fluid out. It might take a while but its the only way to get the air out of your brakes.

You have to bleed you brakes. Fill it up, pump the brake several times and then hold it and crack the bleeder bolt(sorry i dont know what its called) open just enough to shoot fluid out. It might take a while but its the only way to get the air out of your brakes.

Close the bleeder bolt before you release the lever.

DO NOT let the master cylinder resevoir get low, it'll suck in air and you'll have to start all over again.

Good luck. :thumbsup: