Sign in to follow this  

Help Re Replacement of Balancer Bearing

My 03 is leaking coolant again. I have replaced the water pump shaft, bearing, and seals three times before. I have owned this bike since it was new. This time I have ordered the 06 impeller and 03 balancer shaft bearings. The Question is: Do I need a special tool to remove the bolts that hold the balancer bearing in place ? Another post suggests "peening" the part of the case that holds the balancer bearing so that it will not spin. What the heck does that mean. Do you use a round nose punch and just dent the surface to cause the opening to become smaller which will create a tighter fit. Thanks for your help guys.

Do you use a round nose punch and just dent the surface to cause the opening to become smaller which will create a tighter fit. Thanks for your help guys.

that's the way :thumbsup:

Is there anything tricky about removing the balancer bearings ?

Are you sure you are putting in the water pump seal correctly? I was at the track and a guy had just replaced his seal for the third time and it was still leaking bad. Along with a seal he also replaced the shaft and the water pump bearing and it was still leaking. I looked at it and he put the water pump seal in upside down. Make sure the inner lips of the water pump seal point out, or towards the water pressure. Replacing the balancer shaft bearing(s) is not going to fix your problem... sorry.

I just pulled the right case cover off my 03 and yes I have the water pump seals in the correct way. I was very careful each time I removed the old ones and installed the new ones. I learned that I need a special Honda Tool to remove the unique nut holding the balancer. The balancer shaft did not appear to have appreciable movement. Therefore, I decided rather than buy the tool, I would re-assemble with new water pump seals (again) and install the 06 "high tech" impeller ( with the hole in it ). The water pump shaft was installed in March and it looked to be in very good shape. If it pukes coolant again ( usually takes three months) I will buy the special Honda tool and replace the balancer bearings. Am I missing something here ? Based on prior posts, I think 03 was the worst year for this problem.