Sign in to follow this  

I Might be Joining the X Clan

Well i told the wife i was going to sell my 01 CR250 for like 3 grand and i was going to buy my buddys 99 YZ250 for 2 grand. It is basically set up like my CR but it runs better at high elevations and gets better MPG. So i thought i would just take the extra money and fix up the YZ a little with new plastics and stuff. Well when i told her all of that, she said she would rather me just sell my bike and get a new one. So here i am, and I am about 99% sure it will be a CRF450X. The CR goes in the photo ads this week. I didn't think i would ever make the switch over to a 4 stroke, but i need a bike that will get about 100 miles to a tank, and run better at higher elevations. So after doing some searching i think the X is the bike for me. ~ Scott

You can't go wrong. My buddies and I went desert trail riding last Sunday, I had the 450X, the other guy had a CRF250R and the other guy had a KTM620. The guy with the 250 did not enjoy the desert riding, his bike was too light, it threw him around, etc. I let him try my 450X, he could not believe the difference. The 450X is stable, medium weight, and handles like a dream. The bike eats up rocky terrain. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!!

If you get the 450X, set it up right. I would definately recommend the JD Jetting Kit set for your altitude, the 165 main works great at sea level, open up the airbox, and let it breathe. Dump the stock pipe, many after market options, I'm using the FMF Ti. I rarely use the choke to start and warm it up, no popping off the throttle, and it never stalls. Unbelievable difference after the mods. Suspension? That you will have to feel. Depends a lot on your weight, and riding conditions (jumping, trails, sand box, etc.).

One other recommendation, if you want to get 100 miles out of a tank of gas, you'll need to go with an after market tank like the IMS 3.2.

your weight / ability are factors to be considered, epically proportionate to the bikes you have been riding as compared to the 450x respectively.

you must have a sense of the static weight difference, but I encourage you to try to test ride one to feel the difference in the center of gravity. I am a lighter rider and I can ride Farley fast, but managing this bike for long runs really takes a lot on the endurance side. I would imaging you would notice a huge difference between a cr250 and the X.

your weight / ability are factors to be considered, epically proportionate to the bikes you have been riding as compared to the 450x respectively.

you must have a sense of the static weight difference, but I encourage you to try to test ride one to feel the difference in the center of gravity. I am a lighter rider and I can ride Farley fast, but managing this bike for long runs really takes a lot on the endurance side. I would imaging you would notice a huge difference between a cr250 and the X.

Yeah...Chris WAS fast a hell in the woods....LOL.

Skoot wont have any problems adapting to the 450, They dont feel heavy when in motion.

Thanks everyone for your input,and advice on mods to do. I do plan on jetting & airbox, suspension, 3.2 IMS, barkbusters, rad guards, bash plate and a pipe. I just hope my CR sells fast

Well i did not have to wait on the CR to sell, the wife gave me the OK to go get it today so i am a proud owner of a new 450X :thumbsup:

Well i did not have to wait on the CR to sell, the wife gave me the OK to go get it today so i am a proud owner of a new 450X :lame:

Go scooty !!! :thumbsup: Remember to use a full litre in the tranny. Someone told me that somewhere along the way. :p

my wife told me 3 years ago when i said i wanted to get a bike NO WAY! since then i have purchased no less than 3 bikes!

my first was an 03xr-250 then i got my 05 shadow sabre and i just traded in the XR for the 450X

now she rides on the back of my shadow and smiles!

glad your wife let you get a new bike.

my wife told me 3 years ago when i said i wanted to get a bike NO WAY! since then i have purchased no less than 3 bikes!

my first was an 03xr-250 then i got my 05 shadow sabre and i just traded in the XR for the 450X

now she rides on the back of my shadow and smiles!

glad your wife let you get a new bike.

I think she was feeling guilty because we just went down and bought her a new Yamaha Rhino.

I think she was feeling guilty because we just went down and bought her a new Yamaha Rhino.

Street plated the Rhino yet? Welcome to the X clan!! You'll love that bike. One other recommendation for you, buy a stainless steel reusable oil filter. It will pay for itself after a few oil changes.

Street plated the Rhino yet? Welcome to the X clan!! You'll love that bike. One other recommendation for you, buy a stainless steel reusable oil filter. It will pay for itself after a few oil changes.

They can be plated in Ca?