Best sounding exhaust

Okay, I know you guys might be getting annoyed, I want to get a Leo vince, but I don't think they will sound good or be loud enough for me. I want an exhaust that sounds good. I know that my friend has a yz250f with an older big gun system and it sounds awsome. It is pretty loud but I do like it. I have a 450. Any suggestions. I have to get a slip on since i dont have that much money and i just bought a stock header. M4? FMF? Leo Vince? Pro Circuit? White Bros? yoshi?? I have to be under 350.......I want a pipe that gains everywhere concentrated on 2000-9000 rpms..........Any suggestions?? I just dont want to invest $350 in something i'm not happy with. The Leo's do look amazing but I dont know what to get. ?

stick with stock, for the power to pay ratio, its not worth it and the noise is better kept as quiet as possible, I foolishly bought a white bros e series pro meg pipe and its so f-ing loud its stupid. Im going back to my stock pipe cause the power only increased a fraction but the noise went way up. This is usually the case with most aftermarket pipes, buy a scary fast, or acl pump cover and make your bike have better throttle response instead of waisting money on a pipe.

You're definitely not gonna get much love on this forum with a question like that, except from a select group of nose-thumbers. Loud does not always equal power. You will quickly reach a point of diminishing returns. If you want a bike that's loud, get a V-Twin cruiser and put some straight pipes on it.

If you read the industry magazines of late, you'll see a huge push for quieter pipes both politically and within the aftermarket alike. It's a nuisance and it's simply to appease the greenies, but it's reality. Furthermore, asking someone what the best sounding pipe is, is like asking what the best flavor of ice cream is. It's so totally subjective that you're gambling whether you ask or not. Besides, it's a dirt bike. If the sound of the pipe is that much of a concern, then you're posing on the bike, not riding it, so your last name better be Pastrana, Reed, Stewart or Knievel...SC

Okay, I know you guys might be getting annoyed, I want to get a Leo vince, but I don't think they will sound good or be loud enough for me. I want an exhaust that sounds good. I know that my friend has a yz250f with an older big gun system and it sounds awsome. It is pretty loud but I do like it. I have a 450. Any suggestions. I have to get a slip on since i dont have that much money and i just bought a stock header. M4? FMF? Leo Vince? Pro Circuit? White Bros? yoshi?? I have to be under 350.......I want a pipe that gains everywhere concentrated on 2000-9000 rpms..........Any suggestions?? I just dont want to invest $350 in something i'm not happy with. The Leo's do look amazing but I dont know what to get. ?

The MX systems you mention are ~102 - 103db.

The Leo's come with different inserts, they can run just as open as the others you mention. They are a wonderful muffler if that is the one you are looking at. As mentioned before, everyone will have a cry at loud pipes. It is a shame you can't get a straight answer.

103db is a bit annoying when riding your bike, there is a fair bit of drone. But if you pick the Leo, you can just change the insert to be quiet. I think this is a great choice for a muffler. Alternatively, you can get a Procircuit 496 and run that baby open. The extra length of the can quietens it down abit with out being restricted. Most of the pipes nowdays have different inserts available to quiet them down, but you loose power. Personally, I like the GYT-R pipes, but no inserts available.

Have a read of this for exhaust test on '03 YZ450:

http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_0303_2003_yamaha_yz450f_exhaust_test/

GYT-R = 98db stamped on it from the factory. Probably not the quietest pipe around but it is a good compromise between throttle response, power and sound. Like i (or most of us) use 100% of the power of a 450 anyway ??

GYT-R = 98db stamped on it from the factory. Probably not the quietest pipe around but it is a good compromise between throttle response, power and sound. Like i (or most of us) use 100% of the power of a 450 anyway ??

That is for the propower, not available in USA......

Pity, because they are an awesome pipe, not restricted, very tolerable in the noise department, add awesome power. :ride:

How do I know? I got one for a WR250F! ?

Keep it quite, I ride street and dirt and I don't want to hear your bike if I am camping or fishing with family instead of riding. Keep it quite and the non riders will not be as bothered with us.

Like i (or most of us) use 100% of the power of a 450 anyway ??

Well said! I'm sure there are a few out there that race and are trying to squeeze every last ounce of HP to give them an edge but as for me the answer to that question is no. There is one advantage to an aftermarket exhaust and that's weight. My stock exhaust weights twice what my e-series does.

I never really understood why people get so mad. If someone is riding around my house I dont even care and enjoy the sound of a bike. The only thing that gets on my nerves is an obnoxious 125.

Unfortunately, it's the people that do mind that make the most noise about it. More than likely, they're in the minority too. Provided it's not 6:00 a.m. or after 9:00 at night, a healthy exhaust note isn't something I find offensive either. However, the greenies, libs and life members of the PRC want everyone riding in horse-drawn buggies, wearing hemp togas and shuffling around in Birkenstocks. The dirt bike is the spearpoint for their campaign of whining...and the politicos just happen to listen to them ? ...SC

Well said! I'm sure there are a few out there that race and are trying to squeeze every last ounce of HP to give them an edge but as for me the answer to that question is no. There is one advantage to an aftermarket exhaust and that's weight. My stock exhaust weights twice what my e-series does.

I would say the advantage is power placement. A weight saving on the WR is welcome, but not really noticed that much.

The more bottom and mid range the bike has got, the easier it is to ride.

This is the reason why Yamaha has tuned their '07 WR for more bottom and mid range, just like the CRF-X. This is one reason I don't like the quiet pipes, as they rob bottom end, making the bike harder to ride.