Sign in to follow this  

Non high octane gas required performance cam?

He guys,

Does anyone no of a high performance race cam for the Crf230f that will not require race gas :thumbsup: Because I can't get high octane gas to put in my bike every time i ride. Regular octane gas right now is killing me to run my bike every weekend :ride: So I was wondering if there was a cam that I could maybe use 93 octane because it is a little more but the gas station has it right there for you.

i dont think i have seen a cam for the 230 that will require high octane gas. the only thing iv seen that you mghit need high octane gas for is big bore kits and/or high comp. pistons.

1996CR125,

Here's what I suggest you do for a little "homework" assignment. Performance AND stock camshafts are one of the most critical parts of the engine equation which dictates how your engine will run and perform.

The camshaft also plays a role in "cranking" compression. Do a search, ask your Dad, read some books, go down to the local hot-rod shop, and try to get a better understanding of how a four stroke engine operates through its operating range if you can. Since your title signifies a 2 stroke, you may want to get a better understanding of that engine designs characteristics too.

Hopefully once you obtain a bit more knowledge, you will better understand what it is you are TRULY looking for, how the camshaft will affect the powerband and answers to other questions you may have, but then will know the answers to.

Good luck and ride safely.

ahhh yeah I have a CR125 but I also have a CRF230f I've made my project bike which was at one time my main bike till i got a CR125 anyways,

I know a lot about mechanics for my age from what I'm told I'm 15 I know the cam is what keeps the valves in time but i'll start at the crank. The crank is what rotates the piston then you have the timing chain which is hooked up to a gear from the crank which turns another gear that turns the cam which opens the fuel valve with the exhaust valve shut and vice versa there are two valves fuel valve and exhaust valve how many valves depends on how many cylinders there are in most dirt bikes there is 1 cylinder same with 2-stroke dirtbikes but they don't have valves they have reeds and they don't use motor oil they take it directly from the gas(mixed gas). the piston now is what I like to call the heart of the motor the piston goes up compressing the gas put into the motor from the reed or valve then then you ahve the spark plug which ignites the gas causing alot of compression and pushing the piston half way down and then the exhaust valve or reed opens and lets out the the burn gases out then the piston comes back up and it does it again. I know twhat the cam is and what it does i know different cams open the valves more letting more gas in and more exhaust out and other specs. but I'm not good with compression ratios stuff involving numbers and I don't know anything about cam specs so that is what i need to know what specs do I need for a cam that doesn't require high octane gas anyone know. COESHOW do you know of anything?

Do not worry about the cam. A cam by itself will not cause a need for high octane fuel. If anything a cam with more overlap will actually lower cranking compression. Until you raise the cranking compression (big bore, higher compression piston, mill head) you can run low octane fuel.

1996CR125,

Thats why I want you to do some research and learn how the cam and its design will affect your engine. Once you learn these things you can then CHOOSE the cam that will work best for you and your intended purposes.

Then you will not need to depend on someone to pick one for you, you can use your knowledge to send you down the correct path.

You have stated that you do not want to run race fuel and that hi compression is out of the question. Your cam has some effect on compression! Thats what I want you to understand. If you just get any cam, you might end up with something that will RAISE the compression but not make your engine run how you wanted it to.

Once you understand how this happens, you can better choose a cam that will give you the performance you desire, and/or help you understand why a hi compression piston is needed for the cam you want.

Good luck and ride safely.