Sign in to follow this  

Little advice. XR250 --> 250X

Hey all. First off, YES, I have read the previous posts (and used the search function...don't want to be THAT guy).

Anyway, here's my dilemma....

I currently have a 2004 XR250R that I bought last year off the showroom floor. I have put about 20 hours and 250 miles on it. I change the oil every 100 miles, and clean the UNI after every 2 rides. I am a somewhat aggressive rider... no racing or acrobatics. I do not bounce my XR off the rev limiter. Riding mix consists of 80% single track/ATV track and 20% fire/dirt roads. As an ex-mountain bike racer type, I like the single track technical stuff.

About a week ago I went into the dealer that I got my XR from. He said with hunting season approaching, he could get rid of the XR for me pretty easily. Then he started talking trade-in for a 250X, stating he'd give me $2800-3000 for it. He then told me he'd give me a 2006 250X for $5600.

After all of the reading up on the 04-05 250X's, I am somewhat concerned about the maintenance. I am no grease monkey, but wouldn't mind learning to wrench on a bike. However, I haven't seen anyone w/ a 2006 X that has complained of valve issues.

I would like a little more in the throttle response and suspension arena, while still having a great trail bike.

Does the 250X fit the bill, and does it seem like a good deal?

2800 to 3000 for trade in on a xr 04 sounds not bad almost sounds to good to

be true.make sure you check in cycle trader what other guys are selling them for you might get more if you sell your self.also 5600 for 06 X is not bad if its

OTD there could be a better deal,shop.if its 5600 plus tax set up fees and dmv dont do it hell get his money back on the price he gave you on your XR.

as for maintenace not a big deal just take care of it, change oils often,sooner then the manual says keep a clean air filter i have 1200 miles on my o6 X checked valves after break in only,the bike starts great maybe too early to tell with these bikes yet. ilove my bike its agreat machine.

Make it happen dude! If you are a technical rider you will love the power and handling of this bike. Once you ride it you will not have any problem with maintenance because it is such a kick in the a** to ride!

Thus far the maintenance has not been a factor for me, like the Stallion said change the oil and keep the air cleaner clean. Checking the valves is also easy if you are mechanically inclined.

Keep us posted after you get you new X :thumbsup::ride::applause: