Sign in to follow this  

What kind of chain to buy??

What kind of chains do you guys like? I hear about D.I.D. all the time. I know Rcannon likes the Primary Drive gold chains. What is the difference betweet x/o ring chains? Does gold just mean the color or is it refer to quality level of the chain? Sorry for all the Q's, I did a search and it didn't pull anything up. Thanks in advanced.

I bought the did gold for myself. A friend ordered the Primary Drive gold for himself. I dont have enough time on the primary drive to recommend it yet, but hopefully I will find out over the next few months.

The gold chains are cool becaus eof the look. They also make it easy to tell just how filthy many of the chain lubes are after a few minutes of running.

personally i like non o-ring or x ring chains. the non ringed chains cause less drag and dont rob power, but are more maintainence intensive.

personally i like non o-ring or x ring chains. the non ringed chains cause less drag and dont rob power, but are more maintainence intensive.

I don't think o-ring chains really rob much power

I dont think there is much need for an o ring chain if you take reasonable care of a standard. I have always felt the o ring chains were too wide. They tear up the rear guide. They are heavy. I would agree they dont rob much power.

Unless you are a pro and change bolts to save weight, the power issue should be the least of your worries. Any way, im no expert on this, but i think and x ring chain has two rubber rings on each side of the chain. The o rings only have one. I always run a standard chain and take care of it, i have had no problems.

I run the RK gold on my bikes 250 and up. I am very unhappy w/ the primary drive gold. A good quality chain will extend the life of your sprockets so buy the best you can afford. They not only last longer but need less tightening too. :thumbsup:

I prefer thr RK X-ring, one usually lasts me a whole year, thats about 7000km of offroad abuse.

on my YZF I used the Regina o-ring and it was indestructible. HOWEVER....on my "light beer can frame" YZ250, opted for the lightest chain (or so claimed) available ....the RK GMB520Z. It lasted about 60hrs. I have since replaced it with a DID ERT2 (which by my scales....weighs the same as the RK). I think the conventional "racing" chains are perfect for the 2-smoke.

On 125's I use the DID gold.

On 250's I use the RK X-ring (My local shop lets me have them for 50 bucks)

125's dont do well with O-rings or X-rings, but on 250s its not noticable.

What is noticeable though is the fact that the X-ring chain barely ever needs any adjustment. This is good for me because it keeps the rear wheel adjustment in the same position so handling is pretty much consistant thoughout the life of the chain.

50 bucks for an RK X-ring, thats good going.

Right with you there on the chain adjustment/ handling issue.

Also whats with the UpAllNight handle? Are you an insomniac or just bragging?

Ha ha ha! :ride:

I came up with the name because I am currently working a all night security job (graveyard shift). But I am currently attending Fire Accademy so when I finish that I will have a job at the firehouse that is 24 on 48 off... So I assume the name "UpAllNight" will stay the same :thumbsup:

About the 50 bucks chain........ I'm friends with the owner and workers of local shop, they give me everything at wholesale cost. Its really sweet!

I use RK x-ring chain on all of my bikes with great results . But the price is more like $150.00 here in Australia