Sign in to follow this  

Tall riders

I guess this is a question aimed at all the tall riders (but any input is welcome).

I'm 6' 7" and I have never really had a need to stand allot during my riding (which is mostly on-road commuting or blasting down nice wide logging roads). I know I know, I suck, but I used to always ride street bikes.

Never again.

Recently I have seen the light and now spend every available second on single track trails (or quad trails). Needless to say I found out pretty quick the benefits of standing while riding. But, being 6' 7", the bike is just not made with me in mind, and I cannot stand very comfortably at all.

Long story short, what is the easiest way to substantially raise my bars without spending a ton o' cash? What do other tall riders do to accommodate there height?

Any help would be much appreciated!

the first thing is a bar with taller bends. Right now i am running cr high bends on my yz. You have a good 4 inches on me, and there are even taller bars out there, some people use the atv bends, because they are much taller. If none of those get it up tall enough, you can add a bar riser to go along with your taller bars. I run a tag metals 1 inch bar riser along with the cr high bend renthals.

>>Protaper Bars<<

go and look at all the info, they have the specs on all the different bar bends so you can pick out one to start with.

At 6'2" I'M not as challenged; Pastrana FMX, scotts underbar mount.

It used to feel like I was being pulled down, it is now neutral.

You can use a higher bend bar, as mentioned. The RC high and Pastrana bends are some of the highest I know of. You can get different adapters that raise your bars without the need for a new upper triple clamp. AJ's bar risers have been mentioned on TT and allow for a forward offset as well. You can do the peg mod, which will set the pegs about 1/2" lower and back. You can add seat foam, which eases the transition from sitting to standing.

That's all I know.

Moose Racing also offers adapters for your stock 7/8 inch bar mounts that rise from 8mm to 50mm, and will clamp a set of the 1 1/8 bars. I'm just 6ft., but for some reason I have to have a really wide open cockpit area. So I'm running the ProTaper Factory Suzuki bend Contour bars, which are really tall without alot of pullback. I have the bar adapters now, but I'm about to order the 40 or 50 mm set to get some more bar rise. I also fabbed up some new brackets for the footpegs on my CRF450 so they would set 1/2 inch down and back. Tall seat foam is in order too, just haven't got it yet.

One more point here...at 6'7" riding the woods...naturally you need to stand while riding...watch the tree limbs! I've been whacked more times than I'm now able to count. Concussions will do that to ya! :thumbsup:

I'm 6'4" I have 1.5" up and 1.375" forward bar risers and jimmy button bend renthals. Finally I can stand comfortably :thumbsup:

Back saving info.......... I'll let ya know what I end up doing

I love this website

how do you lower your footpegs?

I went to a metals supply shop and bought some steel channel that's 1/2 inch wider than the stock footpeg bracket on the 450R, then picked up some 1/2 inch longer pins at a real hardware store and some stainless tubing with an I.D. just barely larger than the O.D. of the pins. Spent some close personal time with the porta-band, bench grinder and drill...bada-boom, bada-bing...

Beats the hell out of the $105 I had previously spent on the Fastway pegs for my CR250.

I make new peg mounts and weld them down and back from the stock position , also use the fastway pegs so I have more adjustment than that if I need it.

Bar mounts up and forward and tall seat to finsh the package.

how do you lower your footpegs?
At least for the Yamaha's, you need to cut the sleeve off the bottom side of the footpeg (where the pin slides through) and move it to the top side of the peg. Some people weld them to the other side and some just put it in as a spacer.

I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list.

I'm 6'9" and ride an xr650r in the woods in Colorado. I have a set of Pro-Taper high bends on my bike. I changed out the stock top tripple clamps and added a MSR Steering stabilizer. This pushed my bar mount up about one 2". I also added a taller seat, wider foot boards, and the biggest springs I could find for the front and rear. I would not think about lowering your pegs. I have size 16 feet and I'm guessing yours are built to scale as well. If you ever hang a toe on a rock or a root, you will quickly understand...

I'm pretty tall too, but you've got a good 4 inches or so on me. I put tapers and risers on my bike and it has worked great. If I were you, I would get that and get pegs that sit in a lower position.

I've been whacked more times than I'm now able to count. Concussions will do that to ya! :thumbsup:

Note vise-like self control here.... :lame:

6'2", got risers (up 1" & fwd 1") and high cr spec' bars at the moment. I'd much rather do away with the risers but while some of the higher bends are good I'm having trouble finding them with minimum trail (pull-back). That's as much about wrist angle as the forward position (funny shaped bastard).

I did the BRP Sub Mount upper triple clamp with Cr Double Hi Bars and Evolution F3 pegs in the low position with the smaller set screws. Tall seat too. The Japanese bikes always left me feeling uncomfortable, but this KTM I have now, fit me much better from the moment I swung a leg over it.

Back saving info.......... I'll let ya know what I end up doing

I love this website

i agree b-rock, this thread in particular has been usefull

At least for the Yamaha's, you need to cut the sleeve off the bottom side of the footpeg (where the pin slides through) and move it to the top side of the peg. Some people weld them to the other side and some just put it in as a spacer.

I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list.

I could've done this on my '94 CR250, but had already mangled one of the footpegs, so I went with the Fastway. But, on my '06 450R; the bracket is only as wide as to get the peg inside the ears - no sleeve incorporated. Naturally, as if my luck should be that good!