Sign in to follow this  

51 tooth rear sprocket for 06 yz 250

Have you guys tried this yet? I like the mod a lot. I had previously been running stock (50) or a 52 rear.

The 51 lets me stay between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. I like this a lot. With stock gearing I was sometimes having to drop to first for the slow corners. This sucks because it is where most missed shifts happen...between 1st and second gear. The 52 tooth had me shifting too much. This is a great gearing combo (13-52) for trail riding, but not so good on the track.

The drawback with the 51 is no length of chain appears to be "right". The stock length shortens the wheelbase about 1/2 inch. No huge deal really, but stock works well on this bike.

A longer chain stretches the wheelbase out too much. Chains can only be goofed with in changes of 2 links. Adding one tooth to the rear just screws the length up.

I will go take my ocd meds now. Anyone worrying about such things should probably do the same...LOL

Roland, I'm glad you posted this info. I'm going to be ordering a new chain and sprocket set soon and I was think about going with a 52 on the rear. I think I'll go with the 51 now.

I had a 51 on my '04 for most of it's life. With the PC works pipe it was a great combo, until I got faster- found I was shifting too much.

I've now got a 14-49 with a PC platinum 2 on my '06 and it's working out awesome! I can get up to ~75MPH, and I'm even using 1st gear once in a while (VERY rarely used it before). I ride and race off road though, for MX I'd rather have the 14-51 gearing.

I never would use 1st gear on the track because you dont ever want to cross over N... I just use the clutch in second gear around corners that are slow and tight.

I think the stock 50 tooth is fine for me since I can hit top speed on one section of the track. For a while I even debated a 49 because I was topping out on the straight in the back of my local track.

I think 51 would be good for supercross type tracks though, as long as speed is not really required.

By the way Rcannon... I too also have OCD, and I ant kidding either.

Nice thing about OCD is certain things in your life are trully set to perfect standards due to your conditions of thinking.

The not so nice thing is it uses up too much time in my life.

By the way Rcannon... I too also have OCD, and I ant kidding either.

Nice thing about OCD is certain things in your life are trully set to perfect standards due to your conditions of thinking.

The not so nice thing is it uses up too much time in my life.

How true. I try to only apply it to certain aspects of my life and will do all I can to keep it out of others.

One of my friends traded away his brand new 06 Toyota Tundra truck. There was nothing wrong with te truck. He got caught in a severe rain storm. Despite spending over 50.00 at the local car wash he was never convinced the undercarriage of his truck was clean enough.

I've now got a 14-49 with a PC platinum 2 on my '06 and it's working out awesome! I can get up to ~75MPH, and I'm even using 1st gear once in a while (VERY rarely used it before). I ride and race off road though, for MX I'd rather have the 14-51 gearing.

This is very cool info. The bike does have a ton of torque. Gearing to take advantage of this does make sence.

When talking about this bike I almost want to add some sort of disclaimer.......Something to the effect of ..."Look, it is not as if this bike has any REAL problem. Most of these changes are for fun and entertainment rather than need."

I ride with soem children on small bikes. These guys ride SLOW. Slow enough that I cna esily pass them. I must admit that soem fo the fun of the 51 and 52 is being able to follow them at a walking pace. The heavy flywheel helps here as well.