Koubalink lowering Link

I have a 2003 Honda CRF 450R and it is to tall for me. I have been told to do everything from cutting the subframe to shave the seat. I stumbled on to the lowering link and the manufacturer says it works and makes the bike more aggressive. I have also been told that it messes with the travel of the bike and is not good to use. Has anyone used this and if so what is your opinion of it?

I cut the seat down on my 03, but at 5'5 its still a tippy toe beotch. I haven't tried the link and just hate messing with my suspension. Personally, I would rather shave the seat and maybe the subframe before I messed with my suspension.....just my two cents. If you get the link, PM me and tell me how you like it.

I have a friend who has the kouba link crf 3 i think. He liked it at first, but you also need to drop triple clamps on the fork or it will screw up the handeling of your bike. he had his about a year since bike was new and now is talking about takking it off. I just put a step seat from Ceet on my 450 with lowered seat hieght about 3/4 to1in and Im thinking I can re cut the seat to take allittle more out.

• 3 years later...

Ive had one my 02 for about 2 months now, i only ride mx tracks. Ive tried everything in the forum to make my front end bite but nothing has worked. Every corner i take feels like the front end is going to wash out and it usually does several times per day. I just took mine off and im going to the track saturday so ill post the results. I only rode the bike a couple times without the link in the past so not sure how its going to do.

I've got a koubalink crf3 on my '02 CRF450. Two years now, and I love it. I don't race. I just ride trails and sand dunes, so I'm sure I'm not as picky about cornering as those of you who race. I did have to slide the forks up a bit. I had them slid up too much at first (steering was way too fast). I asked Norm Kouba about this, and he recommended sliding the fork tubes up until there is 1.1" showing above the top triple clamp including the thickness of the fork hex cap. I also had to increase the rear race sag just a bit as well (also recommended by Norm to slow the steering for high speeds). Works very well, and I really really really like having the bike a bit lower. Did I say that I really like it already?

OK, you get the point. I liked it so much I bought a second koubalink for my son's '02 CR250. He was only 12 years old at the start of this year when he moved to that bike, and the Koubalink has really helped him as well.

One nice thing about the koubalink is that it has a grease fitting. Very nice! My bike still doesn't steer as well as my older son's '05 CRF450 (or my younger son's '02 CR250 for that matter). But this was true even before I put on the koubalink.

Ive had one my 02 for about 2 months now, i only ride mx tracks. Ive tried everything in the forum to make my front end bite but nothing has worked. Every corner i take feels like the front end is going to wash out and it usually does several times per day. I just took mine off and im going to the track saturday so ill post the results. I only rode the bike a couple times without the link in the past so not sure how its going to do.

You will need 20 or 22mm offset triples to help your bike...I installed them on my 2003 and it was night and day difference. Proper sag and suspension settings will always help, but not fix the problem with the early CRF chassis.

If you put a lowering link on run the forks up in the tripple clamp or the front will be raked which will really make the bike not want to turn in. It will be stable but turn like a pig. To lower the rear you should lower the front.

With an older bike I would raise the forks 1/4 inch in the clamps as it is to reduce the trail and improve turn in.

Good luck!