Sign in to follow this  

DRZ125L KX85 Fork Swap

I'm still gathering all the parts and started wondering what brake line would I need to order. Would an RM80/85 work with the DRZ caliper and master? Or might the KX part be a better choice? Sounds like the caliper will swap out with out trouble but couldn't find anything in past posts about the master or brake line.

Not sure about mixing the caliper and master from different bikes. It may fit ok, but I'm not sure if there are other differences that matter. Like how much fluid is displaced when you squeeze. I'd wait for some better info before making that call. If it were me... I'd try to match them if I had the cash.

As far as the cable, I would think that would be determined by the caliper and the length you need to reach the master.

Sry for nothing concrete. Only way I figure I could be helpful is helping you make sure you cover the bases before doinging whatever you'll be doing. Good luck.

I wasn't really intending to mix masters and calipers, I guess what I'm wondering about is, with the longer KX forks on the DRZ which brake line I should try if retaining the DRZ's master and front caliper. It's just I was at the TT Store looking at putting together an order and it dawned on me I don't know what line fits.

I have a KX100 and DRZ125 brake line. I can post a picture of the KX line and tell you how long it is. I can also measure the KX100 forks, but I think they are the same length as the 85 forks. I'll try to do that tonight. I needed to put pics in my garage anyway.

The KX100 line has a rigid 90 degree elbow (section of metal tube) near the caliper end of the line. It's routed in front of the fork using two guides (odd but that's how Kawi does it) and then under the end of the fork (protected by a plastic shield) and up to the caliper from the rear. Again... a 90 degree elbow is at the end of the line there.

Pics coming... fork lenght and brake line lengths... later tonight (thurs)

Maybe that will help.

ithop, I put some pictures in my garage.

One issue is the KX100 brake line I am using will not work with the stock DRZ master. The DRZ line screws into the DRZ master. The KX uses a through-both. See the pics in my garage. THe brake system on the floor is the stock DRZ sysem. Whats mounted on the bike is from a KX100.

Also, here are some measurements so you can compare what I've done wth what you're doing. If the forks your using are shorter than the KX100 forks I've used, maybe your situation is not the same as mine was.

DRZ Forks : 30-1/4" to the axle bolt. 33-1/4" end to end

KX100 Fork : 31-3/4" to the axle bolt. 35" end to end

DRZ Brake line : 42-1/2"

KX100 brake line : 52-1/2"

As you can see, the KX100 brake line (19" front wheel) is much longer than the DRZ brake line.

just go on ebay and get a brake for the fork you have. thats what i did and it ended up being like $30.00 for the whole brake master and caliper. its way less hassle than experimenting with things that you HOPE will work.

I'm still gathering all the parts and started wondering what brake line would I need to order. Would an RM80/85 work with the DRZ caliper and master? Or might the KX part be a better choice? Sounds like the caliper will swap out with out trouble but couldn't find anything in past posts about the master or brake line.

The suzuki site states (under drz125l features) that the caliper comes from the RM 85!

One difference is routing. The KX line routes down the fork guard and underneath the bottom of the fork leg and goes back up to the caliper. The DRZ line runs down the fork leg and wraps around to the caliper.