Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock wont go back up all the way

Came back from a ride and noticed that when I push on the rear of my bike and let go, the shock doesnt push it back up all the way to the point it was before I pushed on it.

Basically I can grab the rear subframe and pull up on it and it will raise quite a bit. Then it will sattle down about 1cm when I let go. THEN if i push on it and let go it WONT go back up to that 1cm it will be around 3cm lower.

Hope this is not too jibrish and someone can figure out what I jsut said

What is going on and how much is it gonna cost me :thumbsup:

Open up your wallet :thumbsup:

What year is your bike and when was the last time the oil was changed in the shock? Could have lost it's nitrogen charge.

Have you ever pulled apart your suspension linkage and swingarm pivot to clean and grease it? You could have a bind in the pivots causing the lack of shock movement. I had a rock get stuck once between the shock body and the spring, it did not allow the spring to fully rebound and gave a symptom similar to what you are experiencing. Also check your spring preload collars to make sure they have not backed off. I would remove the shock and check for smooth swingarm movement throughout it's travel, that should give you a good idea of whats going on.

Start with simple.

Bike on stand, remove shock... Does it extend all the way? is there any binding in the swing arm linkage?

If the shock is leaking any oil,, or does not extend, then it's time for a rebuild. Seals, bushings,oil, gas recharge. Under $100 if you can do the work your self :thumbsup:

Like everyone has said it could be several different things but one of the easiest is to check your spring preload. The bike should sag slightly with just the weight of the bike. You need to check your preload by measuring the suspension with all weight off the suspension. Measure from the center of the axle to a point on the rear fender & note the measurement [mark the spot]. Then with someones help & all your gear on sit in your normal position with all your weight on the bike, feet on the pegs, balancing & have your friend again take the measurement from the axle center to the same spot on the fender. The difference between the 2 measurements should not be more then 4". If it is tighten the shock spring, loosen the spanner jam nut, and rotate the nut down to shorten the spring. Keep checking the measurements until you get it to the desired measurement. Good luck.

Open up your wallet :ride:

What year is your bike and when was the last time the oil was changed in the shock? Could have lost it's nitrogen charge.

Bike is a 2003,

never had the shock out and never changed oil/gas in it :applause:

o yeah and it has 32,000km on it :thumbsup:

OK I got the shock out this morning.

First time for me so moved the subframe out of the way....at least didnt touch the exhaust.

Anyways , it seems that my swingarms is getting full travel ( the swingarm bolt-the one that holds the motor too) was greased when I did my 440 kit- and it was a complete BE$%^ to remove.

Now I removed the lower bolt that holds the shock and the bearing that was there was VERY dry with about 2/3 of the needles ending up on the garage floor. Is it posible to stick back all of them with some grease? or is it not normal for the needles to leave the bearing? If so where can I get that bearing quicky?

sounds like you needed this to happen anyway :thumbsup:

If the needles are smooth and shiny and there is no groove worn in them, they can be reinstalled in a bed of heavy grease. If they fell out on their own, I wouldn't even take the time to look at them.

Check agricultural and machinery supply and support places for bearings, they are usually available on hand and are cheaper in price and the same or better in quality. If they need to order them in, they are usually faster than bike shops.

Not to hijack your thread but you asked this too and I was wondering what pressure should the nitrogen be at and is there a special process to check it?

There are bearing supply houses that are another place to check for bearings. Take measurements of the OD, ID, and width. Or better yet just take it in and have them take the measurements for you.

900 kPa or 9,0 kgf/cm2 or 128 psi is what the manual says to pressurize the rear shock to.

Took it in to a local suspension place and the guy there tells me this.

THat my rebound setting was set almoust all the way in. And that would make the bike do exactly what it did.....not return all the way. Anyways I still left the shock with him so he can change the oil/gas in it as I already had the grigin thing out of the bike (and I guess new oil cant hurt after 32,000km)

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I wouldn't wait for something to happen to the shock b4 I serviced it. Service it once every year. It'll love ya for it!

Came back from a ride and noticed that when I push on the rear of my bike and let go, the shock doesnt push it back up all the way to the point it was before I pushed on it.

Basically I can grab the rear subframe and pull up on it and it will raise quite a bit. Then it will sattle down about 1cm when I let go. THEN if i push on it and let go it WONT go back up to that 1cm it will be around 3cm lower.

Hope this is not too jibrish and someone can figure out what I jsut said

What is going on and how much is it gonna cost me :thumbsup:

Service once a year....the loss in performance is very gradual and you won't even notice until your bikes a stink bug....I purchased an XR 400 that was four years old and looked like it came right off the show room floor, rode that summer and then serviced the suspension, man what a difference. Keep in mind that the oil can go bad by even just sitting over long periods of time.

Service once a year....the loss in performance is very gradual and you won't even notice until your bikes a stink bug....I purchased an XR 400 that was four years old and looked like it came right off the show room floor, rode that summer and then serviced the suspension, man what a difference. Keep in mind that the oil can go bad by even just sitting over long periods of time.

Yeah and the oil that comes in these shocks and forks from the factory is just not that good...It breaks down a lot faster than the good stuff !

I've had really good luck with Silkolene Pro-RSF or the Maxima Racing shock and fork fluid....The key is regular servicing, regardless of the brand that you choose, to keep your suspension happy :thumbsup::ride::applause: