Sign in to follow this  

Help with choice of new chain.

Time for a new chain for my CRF 450R 06, with stock sprockets. Need some help.

Is this the one I should get?

http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_121/products_id/1079

What should I expect to have to do?

Will I need to cut it to size?

Will it come with a master link?

Will I need to get the spacer to avoid wearing on case? (I read this could be an issue with some chains.) If so where to get?

Best place to purchase chain?

Thanks for any help, I couldn't get the search engine to work due to heavy trafic on TT site.

Awesome chain, and yes you will need a spacer. You will need to order a clip style link if that's what you want, it will come with a press on link.(rivet style)

You will need to cut it to length.

Support TT and buy it through here though. It will be cheaper also.

I don't have a rivet press. Saw that they run about $100 or so.

Should I go for a different choice of chain?

I have the DID 520VT chain. It is narrow and does not rub the case so no spacer is needed. The only issue is the rivet style master link. I called DID and they told me to never put the clip style link on a chain that was made for a rivet link. With that said, I have read of other people doing it with no problems.

I bought the Motion Pro chain breaker/rivet press tool off of ebay for ~$70 or so to install mine.

It does seem easier (and definately less expensive) to go with a regular clip style link and the spacer.

Just my 0.02.

The D.I.D 520VM is a great chain. The 520VMC uses a conventional master link so you don't need a rivet press. The 520VMR uses the rivet style master link.

You may or may not need to shim out the CS for case clearance. Mine barely touched so I used a very thin .018" thick Series 100 Chevy valve spring shim.

just have a buddy hold a back up on the back side of the chain while u use a punch on the pins. i have used this method several times with 0 problems,or just go get a conventional master :thumbsup:

You can save about 60 bucks, and go to RMATV, and get there o ring chain, and sprocket kit for about 50 bucks.

My o ring has not strectched at all, and that is after about 30 hours of hard motocross abuse.

Its your choice, but im just tryin to help out.

If you dont know what RMATV is, http://www.rockymountainatv.com/

Not the best chain you can buy for sure, but I grabbed a Rethanl R1 gold traditional roller chain and 13/50 Renthal sprockets from eBay for $85 total.