Sign in to follow this  

Powervalve?

Ahh I've heard of this part many times what is it and what does it do and what bikes is a powervalve on. :thumbsup:

HPP powervalves is something honda uses... Basically its these valves that cover some of the exhaust port and as the rpms go up, the valves open up making the exhaust port have larger area.... Make a big diff

If you have a 1996 CR125, then you have one on your motorcycle. If you are racing the bike, you need to clean it regularly for best performance. Here's a picture of one: http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/062046/ It's the part on the front of the cylinder behind the cover with the four bolts. This page talks about the 250 but should be similar to the 125: http://www.dansmc.com/powervalve.htm

If you don't have one, get a manual for your bike. Clymer makes some inexpensive manuals and can be purchased at most motorcycle shops. You can order the factory manual from Helm but it cost $36 + tax & shipping. It also assumes you have a background in motorcycle mechanics. If not, you may want to get the common service manual also.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?class%5F2=AHC&mk=Honda+Motorcycle&yr=1996&md=Racing&dt=Shop%2FService+Information&module=&from=result&Style=&Sku=61KZ405&itemtype=N&mscsid=G6S4W1VWBP0W9GMMK2N3SCSVC32U0T02

oohh is it that little box that is diagnolly above the crank box on the outside of the motor.

Yes. It says HPP on it. Check my grage I have a nice pic of mine :thumbsup:

I know what it is now cool well so it makes the exhaust header like open wider if I understood stryker1080 right?

errrmm... i know i have an exhaust valve...but theres definatly not anything that looks like a powervalve on my cylinder.

are they removable if the person who had before you might of removed it i don't know who would be that stupid. :thumbsup:

how come my 03 cr125 doesnt have one?

It does have a exhaust valve, it's called a RC vavle on your bike:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03cr125r.htm

are they removable if the person who had before you might of removed it i don't know who would be that stupid. :thumbsup:

Guys, these are some really basic things you really should know about if you're riding these bikes. These questions really reek of someone trying to pull a fast one. If they are real, I suggest you get a manual and read up on how your bike works. If you're asking these types of questions because you don't know, you're not trying to be a smart ass, and you're riding these bikes, you're headed for trouble. If you have an engine lock up in the middle of a jump because you didn't maintain your bike, the pain and suffering that will result are your own doing.

It does have a exhaust valve, it's called a RC vavle on your bike:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03cr125r.htm

Guys, these are some really basic things you really should know about if you're riding these bikes. These questions really reek of someone trying to pull a fast one. If they are real, I suggest you get a manual and read up on how your bike works. If you're asking these types of questions because you don't know, you're not trying to be a smart ass, and you're riding these bikes, you're headed for trouble. If you have an engine lock up in the middle of a jump because you didn't maintain your bike, the pain and suffering that will result are your own doing.

thanks, the guy at my shop called it an exhaust valve, and the reason i didnt think my bike had one was because in the pictures people put up they were all on the left side of the cylinder. i hear a lot of people talking about how gummed up their RC valve gets...but everytime im in the engine and have the valve cover off its clean as a whistle in there?? :thumbsup:

thanks, the guy at my shop called it an exhaust valve, and the reason i didnt think my bike had one was because in the pictures people put up they were all on the left side of the cylinder. i hear a lot of people talking about how gummed up their RC valve gets...but everytime im in the engine and have the valve cover off its clean as a whistle in there?? :thumbsup:

How often the valve gums up or builds up carbon is dependent on several factors including the type of pre-mix used, ratio of gas to pre-mix, how rich/lean you have your bike setup, and type of riding. Low engine speed (RPM) type riding such as tight trails can cause faster build up than flat out, gonzo MX racing, especially if you run your bike a little pre-mix rich to cut down on top end wear. Keep doing regular checks like you're doing now and you won't have a problem. Again, you might want to get a manual if you don't have one and follow the maintenance schedule outlined. Depending on the type of riding you do, adjust their recommendations accordingly.

is it something you do once a year or month or race? If I use 32/1 would it gum up more often or not?

is it something you do once a year or month or race? If I use 32/1 would it gum up more often or not?

i check out my top end once every couple of months and thats when i have the cover off. again like he said, it depends on how you ride the bike.