Sign in to follow this  

06 cr250 agressive power

I am a motocrosser coming up off a 250F, I am sruggling to come to terms with the handling and aggressive power delivery of my 06 CR250R.

I have had the suspension re-valved for my weight and speed. I have also changed the jetting as per shop advise, one size leaner on the main and 1 position leaner on the needle, this has left me with average low end, and a really aggressive upper midrange hit, and minimal over rev. I have ordered a v force reed block and am considering an 8oz stealthy fly wheel weight.

I live at sea level at the top of Queensland so the humidity is high and it is always hot.

:thumbsup:

is this your first time on a 250 2-stroke? it may take some time getting used too..which is surprised since you're coming off a 250F..you should be used to ringing a bike out, and the cr doesnt really hit as hard as some other bikes.

try gearing and the reeds...these bikes dont have much to offfer on top, perhaps an sst pipe would help but i hear they're not to great for cr's..or maybe it was the rev

I put on the 10 oz steahley flywheel and love it. I also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket which helped gear it down. This is on a 03 CR 250 R.

I too have had the same struggles with my 2003 CR250 - the power is awesome but it came on too strong for me. After trying flywheel weights, pipes, powervalve settings, jetting, etc - it was never how I wanted (smooth and wide power, with a nice roll on giddyup). It seemed to mostly be the jetting was never right - too rich, then I lean it out, and it was "wahhhh". Never right, so.....

I finally hit the right mod: Go with the Keihin carb conversion. This has solved all of the problems, and made it a new bike. Everyone who has ridden it both before and after think it is a rocket - now the power comes on as you need it, no bog, just right. The difference is like night and day, it is THAT much better.

I have an FMF Burley, V-force, and properly set powervalve. Also, check your ignition coil against spec, I had found mine was out of spec by just a few ohm's, and replaced it, and that made it run sharper.

Anyway - the Keihin carb is the best mod for the money IMO. Try it, you will think your on a different bike -

Yamy