Sign in to follow this  

hardwire kit for my garmin vista c

I cant seem to find a hardwire kit for my vista cx. Cycoactive.com only has mounts for the black and whites and mine is color.

Any suggestions?

Kalabula,

I just ordered the VISTA CX as well...Lemme see what you do with your setup on the DRZ once you get it..I ordered a metal handlebar mount from

IMS for mine...I was planning to just use batteries...It get's like over 30 hours use from a set of batteries (According to Garmin)...

I cant seem to find a hardwire kit for my vista cx. Cycoactive.com only has mounts for the black and whites and mine is color.

Any suggestions?

Kalabula,

I just ordered the VISTA CX as well...Lemme see what you do with your setup on the DRZ once you get it..I ordered a metal handlebar mount from

IMS for mine...I was planning to just use batteries...It get's like over 30 hours use from a set of batteries (According to Garmin)...

Sweet. Maybe I'll go to Radio Shack tommorrow and get a cig. lighter adapter and a socket. Do you have a link for the mountthat you used?

I don't care if the batteries last 300 hours I just don't like being at the mercy of batteries.

I would like to remove my odometer and just use the gps but Im not really happy with the size of the odoometer on the Garmin, it's like a 1/4" tall.

I'll let you know how I hook it up and take some pics as well (first thing: I need to figure out how to work this gizmo).

Hi. I am a lurker here and I have been for about a year. I have only posted a time or two. I have been running a Garmin Vista for about three years on an adventure bike and they work very well. The cig. liter power source is not good when it comes to vibes on a bike. The garmin unit is spendy. Look on E-Bay for a better deal on the power source. When you get it take it apart and put some silicone around the coil and other parts that may have problems with vibes. This is very easy and will save you a lot of grief. Hope this helps. Mark

Kalabula,

It's on the IMS Website...I just called them to make sure I got the right one as their listing doesn't show pictures...The only have a few pictures on the first page...I wanted a metal mount as my DRZ is 99 percent off-road very fast/hard useage...Others here have been using the RAM mount and the plastic handlebar mount that it comes with but I want a metal one...$56 wasn't a bad price...Touratech has some super-heavy duty ones for it and one is a locking model with a key but that one costs $112 and is back ordered...

Sweet. Maybe I'll go to Radio Shack tommorrow and get a cig. lighter adapter and a socket. Do you have a link for the mountthat you used?

I don't care if the batteries last 300 hours I just don't like being at the mercy of batteries.

I would like to remove my odometer and just use the gps but Im not really happy with the size of the odoometer on the Garmin, it's like a 1/4" tall.

I'll let you know how I hook it up and take some pics as well (first thing: I need to figure out how to work this gizmo).

The only thing that I can find so far for power cource is the cigarette lighter. Which Cycoactive says is not water proof at all.

Any suggestions?

What are the connectors on the vista cx? I have a 60Cx, and it has both a USB and the 4 prong connecter ports. The 60Cx cigarette power plug goes to the 4 prong port and sends 12v to the unit (does not reduce the voltage). Check to see if yours runs off 12v, some units knock the voltage down in the cigarette lighter adapter.

I got a 4 prong plug cord on eBay (a search will turn up many different types). It has about 6ft of cord ending in bare wires. I'm planning to wire the cord up, with enough slack to plug it in to the 60Cx (on a RAM mount), and coil it on the handlebar, or stuff it behind the headlight when not in use.

Hope this helps.

I read on a webpage that the Etrex models use a voltage reducer in the cigarette plug (not sure what voltage out)..

I suppose you could simply take apart the cigarette lighter plug and wire it inline (Sealing the whole deal with silicone or something else...

I think I'm gonna try mine on battery first and see how long the batteries last...Like someone else said it's really the backlight that sucks the batteries so if you are using it in daylight mostly then batteries might be OK...If not then I'll probably order the Cycoactive cig plug model...