Sign in to follow this  

Road bike

i'm looking at getting a road sport bike like a CBRR or YZF-R6 something like that.. my main questions are: what brand makes the best? most reliable? what size 600 or 1000 or somewhere in between? thanks for the help

i'm looking at getting a road sport bike like a CBRR or YZF-R6 something like that.. my main questions are: what brand makes the best? most reliable? what size 600 or 1000 or somewhere in between? thanks for the help

First it depends on age and years of experience. For me, the CBR600 is the most awesome in handling. The R6, I don't like the gearbox. YZF, felt heavy and didn't like handling. Suzuki good all around.

I prefer Honda's, never had a problem out of any CBRs I've owned. The CBR will pull a good off the throttle wheelie too!! (don't know about fuel injected model) :thumbsup:

If this is going to be your first streetbike I would not recommend you get a race replica 600. You would be much better off on a Suzuki SV650. But, if you cant live without a 4 cylinder, you could go for the Yamaha FZ6 or Honda 599. 4 cylinders dont have much low end so they are going to be harder to ride. Less low end means that getting out of a dangerous situation might take a little bit longer.

The SV650 might not look like much but it will still beat any car out there. It is capable of an 11 second 1/4 mile.

If this is street bike number one for you, then stay clear away from the liter bikes cause you will just kill yourself. Those big bikes have enourmous amounts of power, it's really insane what they can do....!!! I would also suggest one more bike out there on the market that is a great bike. That is the new Ninja 650R, it's the competition out there for the SV650. I have owned several street bikes and just bought one of these, let me tell ya it's a fun little sucka. It will hold it's own against the SV650 and off the line pull away from most other 600cc bikes. Of course something like CBR600RR will catch and pass you but off the line you will take him. Not that racing is a big deal to me, it's more a comfort thing really and IMO the Ninja is 100times more comfy. It's also much easier to ride and feel confident on. Again it's just my opinion, and again if this is your first bike they stick with the smaller bikes to start with.

K-Ninja650R 6300$

S-SV650 5900/6500$ (s version)

Y-FZ6 6800$

H-599 More$

Ducati Monster 620 is also a great option and sweet looking bike, and in the same price range as those listed above.

It is my first street bike but i have been riding dirtbikes for 11 years. what kind of gas mileage do these get?

It is my first street bike but i have been riding dirtbikes for 11 years. what kind of gas mileage do these get?

On my Ninja I average 51mpg and I would assume most of these would follow suit.

Most bikes in that range will get around 50-60 mpg. BUT if you are just buying it to "save on gas", keep in mind the purchase price of the bike, plus maintenance (which includes tires...that'll run you about $300 per set, about every year or so). If your car gets 20 mpg, then the bike gets 30 more MPG, but by the time you factor in allt he 'costs' of the bike, how long will it take for the gas savings to offset the initial cost? That's something very few people think about. Now if you want a street bike anyway and the gas savings is just more justification, well, there you go.

All of the bikes above are good suggestions. And before you get a wild hair in your butt to get a race-replica, check on insurance for one of those versus the bikes mentioned above. Depending on your age and record, ins. will eat you alive on a true sport bike.

Another bike not mentioned above that is good is a Honda VFR, or Interceptor. You can pick up a 98-01 800cc 5th-generation model for around 3,000-4,500. 93-98 750 models go for around 2-3,000. All good bikes. Classified as 'sport-touring' but definitley lean toward the sport. 5th-gen has fuel injection.

Good point about insurance. Unfortunatly you took a wrong turn at VFR with that point in mind. It's considered a sportbike by many insurers, and is sometimes more to insure on pure displacement ratings. Still, it'd be more in the practical range than a 600 supersport bike.

If your just looking for a commuter bike go with a bare bones bike(previously mentioned SV, Ninja650, or even older EX500, GS500, Nighthawk CB750 bikes). The race rep bikes can be used as commuters/town bikes, but it's really slegehammers for fly killing. Pointless, and possibly dangerous(atleast to your license and wallet).

No matter how long you've been riding dirt your first bike will suffer the indignity of being on it's side eventually. It happens, it's acceptable. The only problem is dumping s streetbike with all that plastic is hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars worth of damage. Even at low speeds. This is why so many suggest minimal, to no, fairing bikes as a first street bike.

Most any bike made in the last 8-10 years is going to be reliable if taken care of properly. It's really hard to make a modern bike unreliable.

50 mpg is kind of optimistic. More realsticly you can expect 35-45 mpg.

Maint costs can be suprisingly low. If you buy sport touring tires, they last longer, and don't really give up that much grip. Plus, they are more suited to riding in the wet. Oil changes can be done by yourself for pretty cheap, and you can safely stretch synthetic oil to 6000 miles. Just change the filter with it at that time. Valve check/adjustment intervals are usually 12,000 and more. So there's not alot going into that service, even for heavy commuters like myself. Street bikes really don't consume things as fast as dirtbikes do.

I too thought that it would be okay to get a R6/ GSXR600 as my first bike since I have been riding the dirt for 2 years. Not so. Luckily, my dad is smart and made me stick to a 250. Thus far, I have about 1200 miles on the street. Let me tell you, it is not for the faint of heart. NOBODY ever sees you and you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have to be alert. One time in stop an go traffic I let my mind wander and before I knew it I was closing in fast on the car in front of me. I lock both wheels but managed to keep it upright. I was about 10 inches from the car in front of me when I stopped.

I guess what I am trying to say is streetbikes are VERY differant from dirt bikes. Yes they both have 2 wheels and powerful motors but they are still very differant. Take your time. You will always have the oppurtunity to get a bigger bike.

wow thanks for the info. are they hard to ride or its just that no one sees you and the dangers of it? and do tires really need replacing every year or can i get tires that last longer especially if i'm not spinning the tires?

I had a SV650 it would get 47 mpg all day long around 85 mph.

as for tires rear tire will last about 5000 mi, 8000 if you dont buy full sport tire double that for the front and would top out at 135 if i kicked the crap out of it. the SV is a chain eater!

dont expect people to see you make them see you! :thumbsup:

I would say sv 650 you can get the lower faring for them and they look just like every other rice rocket out there and you will have a lot more low end

one bike I was looking at was a buell or even a monster 950 or is it a 900

wow thanks for the info. are they hard to ride or its just that no one sees you and the dangers of it? and do tires really need replacing every year or can i get tires that last longer especially if i'm not spinning the tires?

Alot of the physics, and control responses, are the same. But some of the feedback will feel different. A good place to start, and get some basic pavement practice on someone elses bikes( :thumbsup: ) is look for a MSF, motorcycle safety foundation, course. They're often held at community colleges. The class is geared to teach you the right way to ride a motorcycle on the street, even if you've never been on bike before. Go in with an open mind! You can also get a discount on your insurance with a completed MSF certificate.

Tires last longer if your smoother on the brakes and acceleration. And you MUST pay attention to your tire pressure. I destroyed a sport touring rear tire in 2700 miles on my bike once because I didn't check the pressure. They should run in the mid to high 30 psi, mine was 26 when I took it off. :ride: Normally I would get over twice that.

I would say sv 650 you can get the lower faring for them and they look just like every other rice rocket out there and you will have a lot more low end

one bike I was looking at was a buell or even a monster 950 or is it a 900

I highly doubt that a lower fairing will give a bike more low end power :thumbsup:

I meant the bike has more low end power not that the lower fairing will give it more low end power

unless you where being sarcastic then HA HA