Sign in to follow this  

harescrambles

how many of u guys and girls race ur yzf in harescrambles and wr's i wanna a yz250f and not a wr 30 pounds heavier but just wanted to hear if ur do oh and enduros :thumbsup:

i race my wr in those events the reason i chose the wr for this event was the electric start when your tired is better than having a hot four stroke to kick over. plus im lazy.

I have been racing my 04 YZ250F for the past 2 1/2 years in the local WA harescramble series along with a bunch of motocross races. What I have done to make it off-road ready.

IMS 3.2 tank

MSR skid plate

Cycra Pro-bend bark busters (mandatory!!! :thumbsup: )

Emig Upper triple with bar clamp

Emig Stabilizer

Pro-taper (Doug Henry bend)

PMB Endcap to meet noise requirements and make it USFS approved

13/51 gearing for tight technical stuff

I have done well on this bike finishing in top of every race or so. I race in the Vet B class, so engine size is not an issue. In fact, a lot of bikes I am up against are 450's

The bike starts very quickly allowing for great starts. Very nimble through tight woods and stuff so long as you have good suspension set up. I had Devol set mine up for off-road but it is stiff enough for track riding as well.

If I stall, usually starts after 1-2 kicks without the hot start level so no issues there regarding fatigue.

The only time I notice the bike is inadequate is on long straights where a bigger CC engine has the advantage. My low gearing doesn't help there as well.

I have done the usual religious maintenance on the bike, checked the valves (still in spec.) The only problem I have had is the decompression plug blew out creating a lovely oil mess. But a new plug from TT store solved that right away.

I plan on getting another YZ450 soon for desert racing and plan on racing the 250f for woods.

Hope this helps.

mx813

I've raced the past 4 seasons of hare scrambles and dozens motocross races and countless hours of play riding on my 03 yz250f and love it. Its a beast. I love the light weight and snap compared to my old mans wr. I'd ride a yz over a wr anywhere. I have a rediculous amount of hours on my bike and it still amazes me. The wr does soke up the sharp hits a little better, but it aint got nothin on the yz. :thumbsup: