Sign in to follow this  

Do the vaules need to be shimmed @600 miles

I have a 04 S it now has 1900 miles on it bought it used back in May w/ 200 miles on it. Seems to sound OK or no changes but does the vaules really need to be checked so soon? Has there been that much of a problem w/ this? Do I need to run to the dealer on this? A mech. friend told me that because of the shims it would not be cost affected to do this myself or have him do it. :ride: I'm comfused on what I should do the story from the dealer is they check it but it usually never needs any adjusting. So still don't know if it will get done if I take it in. Need some help & suggestions Please. Thanks Guys :thumbsup: Eric

ive got 1300mi on my S and i havent checked em yet. it sounds the same it did the day i picked it up from the stealership. but ill prolly check em next oil change though.

I don't know.Talenuf has 600 miles on his bike and they were waay under spec.It's a good thing that he checked them now.I would contemplate taking issue with Suzuki if it happened to me.Anyway,the E model schedule is after the first 5 hours and every 20 thereafter and the SM model is 14,500 miles for the inspection.I would think at least once or twice a year for street use if no problems are encountered with the valves.But for dirt it probably is not a bad idea depending on how hard it is ridden.

If you haven't had experience checking valves on engines your mech. friend should certainly be able to handle this neccessary task.It's not too hard and if you milked it would take 45 min. tops.There are some excellent tutorials to be found on this site if you do a little searching.It's fun and you can learn alot about your bike and have the peace of mind that it is getting done.You will have a written record of your valve measurements to use as a baseline for future inspections to determine if and how far they have moved.That way you can catch problems early before irrepairable damage occurs.It also gives you the opportunity to inspect the cam chain and replace the ACCT with a MCCT as well as the condition of the spark plug since the fuel tank and seat need to be removed anyway.

Make that only 90 miles of trail use. Mine is an E model, but after what I found, I think you would be well served to at least check the clearances yourself. That part is easy, even if you're not comfortable with making the adjustments, at least you'll know what the clearances are so you don't get hosed if you take it somewhere for the adjustment.

Check 'em while the bike is fairly new, mostly to confirm that the thing was put together properly by Suzuki. And if everything's within spec, make note of the clearance values for future reference.

I checked mine at 4000 miles, and the clearances were all well within spec.

Chances are they will stay in spec for tens of thousands of miles. But it's nice to know how things are sitting, before you really start to rack up the miles.

Checking them is a fairly easy job.

:thumbsup: