Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Help?

Hi Everyone, I hope this is the right place to be asking this, and if its not I apologize, but I was looking for some help with my 96 yz 125. I haven't ridden it in about 3 years, and when I was riding I did little or no repairs or maintenance on my own, so please forgive any dumb things that I may say here, I'm pretty much clueless right now. Anyways I broke it out last week because I would really like to start riding again. I cleaned out the carb, drained and replaced all the fluids, changed the plug, and actually ended up replacing the air screw and the throttle screw as well. So I finally got it started, and first, when I didn't have the throttle turned at all, it sounded like I had it wide open, and as soon as I turned it, it would stall out. So I think i got that problem fixed, I made some adjustments to the throttle cable/throttle screw/the adjustment going into the carb, and that seemed to work. However, then whenever I would start riding it, it would stall out every time i went around a curve or up any incline (i was in my driveway, just trying to get everything straightened out so i had two curves and a small incline). This seems, to me at least, to say that the bike isn't getting any fuel at those times, but it isn't sputtering to a stop or anything, i'm just losing all power instantly. Does anybody have any ideas where to start with this? Am I making a stupid/simple mistake? I have 32:1 mix in it, and when I drained the gas and refilled it, it worked for a few minutes, but then the problem started right back up again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

-Dan

try feathering the clutch? it sounds like its bogging down. probably your jetting, but im no expert in that area but plenty of people on TT are. oh, just thought of it, are you letting the bike warm up for a few minutes? if not then the cold engine will bog down if you start riding it too soon.

I have the exact same problem with mine and i would turn the choke on to start it and then once it is warmed up 2-5 min then start riding hard and if it still sputters turn the choke on all the way and hammer it and then that will tell you if it is getting good gas. I would try just turning the choke on though when it boggs b/c if ther is something in your jets or in the needle(dirt or something) When you turn the choke on it will give it extra gas and maybe even clear the dirt out of the carb without haveing to take it apart. if you dont know what i am talking about then tell me and i will try to xplain better. plz reply and tell me if it worked.. THANKS

Sounds like you might still have that 'old gas varnish' in the carb somewhere. I'm thinking a dirty pilot jet too.

Loosen the carb, turn it sideways, remove the bowl cover and shoot carb cleaner up there. Put everything back top normal and try riding again. If it is a little better then you are on the right track.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. Just to respond to them, I was letting it warm up for a few minutes before running it yesterday. However, heres my progress for today. I got home from work and pulled it out again, just to try one more time. I tried starting it and after about 10 minutes of kicking it, i was still getting nothing, so I pop started it, and got it started, but it hesitated and I had to work the throttle a little bit before I could get it going. Once I did however, it ran fine...for about 5 minutes. Then again, with no warning, no sputtering, no hesitation, nothing, I just lost all power, again going around a bend. So i tried starting it again, and got nothing, no matter what I did, kicking it or popping it or whatever. So I read all the responses, and tried them all, (or all that I could since it wouldn't start). I took the carb totally apart and cleaned it with carburator cleaner from top to bottom, its spotless, and still it wouldn't start no matter what I did. Could this be a non-fuel related problem? When I tried popping it, it sounded like it wanted to start but wasn't able to...it just kind of gurgled to a stop, if that makes sense. Someone in another forum suggested that I check the float in the carb for a hole or it being stuck...could that be a possibility? I couldn't try it because, honestly, I don't know what that is or how to check it, but everything seemed to be working and moving alright when I had it taken apart. I have no idea what to even try next. Suggestions would be great. Thanks again.

-Dan

It could be electrical like a coil going bad after it heats up or your stator. These are just some guesses. Stuff like this is hard to diagnois over the internet.