Sign in to follow this  

Starting!!!

has anyone else put a hole on the inside of their right boot from starting their 450.i have 2 now and its making me mad.first it was chewing the hell out of the bottom from my boot hitting the peg,took off good chunks.so i turned my foot out so it wouldnt hit the peg on the way down.i afraid to get alpinestars cus i dont want to rip the side of them.oh ya i have cheap fox tracker boots.are more expensive boots better reinforced?

Boots wear out! thats just fact, but definitely buy good quality boots because they'll last longer and feel SO much better. i had the thor whatevers and then bought so alpinestar tech 8 and i will never buy a cheap pair again. definitely worth the money!

Sounds like you are kicking way too hard! I was tuning my 05 this past weekend and cranked it up several times while wearing Crocs!

crocs_cayman_CHOC.jpg

Sounds like you are kicking way too hard! I was tuning my 05 this past weekend and cranked it up several times while wearing Crocs!

crocs_cayman_CHOC.jpg

thats what i was thinking

You guys actually wear those things!

Weird.

I started my Yamaha with bare feet this past weekend! I was too lazy to go inside and put shoes on. BTW - I won't wear shoes unless it's absolutely necessary. :thumbsup:

A big part of it has to do with how new you are to your bike.

The first ride ever did on my bike (including the first time I ever fired it up), was at the starting line of a gnarly harescramble...bone stock new off the floor 450R.

I stalled it what must have been 10 times per lap, and I got 5 laps. I didn't know how to start it, and kicked it cubic number of times.

I didn't ruin my boots that day, but I did have a black and blue arch of my right foot for a week or so after...

I since learned to start it pretty well on the 1-2nd kick when cold, and 1st kick when hot. Directions/tips on starting are all over this forum, so I won't repeat that.

My bike has always started well, but after recently shimming my L intake valve, I note it starts "easier" on the same first kick (when hot)...it's like I don't have to kick it very hard at all...I kind of gently cycle my leg through the stroke, and it fires right up....only difference before was that i pretty much had to kick it like I stole it...but started first kick either way.

My boot soul is in perfect shape, but my Tech 8's do have a broken/cracked peice of the hard plastic around the inside ankle area...other than that they are perfect...not bad for a ebay purchase of 150 bucks.

crocs_cayman_CHOC.jpg

oh mother of god what in the hell are those ,--- :applause::thumbsup:

that looks kinda like when i was a hippie in the 60's right before i got drafted i had some sandals on with bell bottoms and i could sit on my hair , :applause:

when i got off the buss at Pairs island the drill instructor fixed all my short comings real quick :applause::applause:

i have not had long hair, sandals or bell bottoms ever since :applause:

he road my ass so hard ---he just hated me--- that was the longest hardest 8 weeks of my life ---it was a relief to leave ----kinda -but not really :ride::applause:

that looks kinda like when i was a hippie in the 60's right before i got drafted i had some sandals on with bell bottoms and i could sit on my hair , :applause:

when i got off the buss at Pairs island the drill instructor fixed all my short comings real quick :applause::applause:

he road my ass so hard ---he just hated me--- that was the longest hardest 8 weeks of my life ---it was a relief to leave ----kinda -but not really :ride::applause:

If you only knew what was to follow you would have hung on to that DI for dear life!

Lol, I have already done my time at Parris Island! Semper Fi. It would have been much more enjoyable though if I could have worn my Crocs on those humps!

I totally agree that they are ugly tree-hugging hippie shoes, but after wearing them one day around the house and yard I was hooked! They are almost weightless and are super plush.

You guys worry about your looks too much around here.... I bet you always wear matching gloves, goggles, pants, and jerseys too huh? :applause:

670.jpg

If you only knew what was to follow you would have hung on to that DI for dear life!

yes you are absolutely correct, and i actually tested top 4% on the written test( if you can believe that,--of course we a talking felons and just normal low life 17 and 18 year old kids that had no where to go ,---myself included :applause: ) and i scored the highest on the physical test and ran the fastest mile and the fastest 3 mile ( i ran track and was very close to setting records before hand ) that they had had there and they asked me if i wanted to stay and work on becoming a co and they would put me through school .

and like and idiot i said no :applause::applause::thumbsup: ,

man i could have retired in 20 and went to work for the post office and been retired from there also and had medical for life and two checks coming in every month---- :ride::applause:

i am such a moron and have always been bad at making good decisions :applause:

Lol, I have already done my time at Parris Island! Semper Fi. It would have been much more enjoyable though if I could have worn my Crocs on those humps!

I totally agree that they are ugly tree-hugging hippie shoes, but after wearing them one day around the house and yard I was hooked! They are almost weightless and are super plush.

You guys worry about your looks too much around here.... I bet you always wear matching gloves, goggles, pants, and jerseys too huh? :applause:

670.jpg

you are right ,--they just looked funny to me at first, i am sure they are comfortable ,

Semper Fi !!--Hell Yes Baby

but no my bike and gear is very much thrashed and does not look very good at all ,

but however i just won new gear from the tt ride at canyon that Redbeard picked up for me and my old lady tried to steal it and wear it but it did not fit her :thumbsup::ride: so i will get it and so i guess i have new gear now,

i sure need a new helmet tho ----my old carbon carbon axo that they wont make anymore is really junk

Your kicking WAY to hard or something. as you get used to your bike you will stop the kick before you hit the bottom of the stroke. i got a pair of tech 10's and i dont see any wear from the kicker just the pegs.. and even that is slight wear.

You guys actually wear those things!

Weird.

I started my Yamaha with bare feet this past weekend! I was too lazy to go inside and put shoes on. BTW - I won't wear shoes unless it's absolutely necessary. :thumbsup:

Id love to see you start my CR500 barefoot....

:ride:

:ride:

you are right on that one -----i had quite afew of the cr500's and loved them all , ( they do take alot of work to really set up ---but thats another story for another time )

but i remember my 85 cr500----the one with that little kick starter lever and all that compression ,----man that thing was unreal ,----i would cut the head and get the cr down to around 6.5 to 1 and hang that junk fmf pipe on the thing that had the smaller mid section and the short conversion cone to kill the reversion incoming charge to kill about 10 ft lbs of torque and get the hp down to around 40 and then i could start it and ride it ---and the dam thing would still kill you if you let it ----

those cr 500's are just strong :thumbsup:

Lol, I have had three CR500's, I remember starting my 91 with dress shoes on and the kickstarter went through the sole when it kicked back and poked me in the foot!

has anyone else put a hole on the inside of their right boot from starting their 450.i have 2 now and its making me mad.first it was chewing the hell out of the bottom from my boot hitting the peg,took off good chunks.so i turned my foot out so it wouldnt hit the peg on the way down.i afraid to get alpinestars cus i dont want to rip the side of them.oh ya i have cheap fox tracker boots.are more expensive boots better reinforced?

I've never had that problem.Is your 450 hard to start?.I would think that if your tearing the inside of your boot it might be the the way you kick it.Look at the way you place your foot and the position of your leg.Are you slipping of the kick starter when you kick :thumbsup:.I know on my CR500 i had to angle my foot slightly out so i didn't rip the toe off the end of my boot from the peg.As far as your pegs shredding your souls you could change your pegs before buying new boots. I run a Fastway F3 foot peg they will not shred your souls.

Good ole Parris Island! I'm still recovering from all the damn bug bites. Both my son and daughter are Marines now. In a small town, there's little hope of a job future so, that's the path they chose. Semper Fi!

As for kick starting, I can start my bike cold in one kick. Choke on, half twist of the throttle then release, and one reasonably good kick and I'm off. Don't kick it like a 2 stroke and don't twist, or for that matter, touch the throttle again. It should light off if the bikes okay. Then, turn off the choke and let it warm up before you scream out to the track, or trail. To start it when it's hot, just pull in your hotstart lever while your kicking it over and again, no throttle. Release the hotstart when it starts and go.