Sign in to follow this  

Help! My bike died!

I have klx400sr (the green drz). Rode it to work today and it ran beautifully. Then after work I drove it to the gas station and filled it up. When I left the gas station it acted like it was running out of gas. It kept sputtering. I thought maybe it had a little air in the line and it would work it's way out. But it never did work it's way out. I fought with it for 15 mins but it just kept dying. It will idle just fine and stay running but as soon as you try to give it some gas it dies. I thought maybe it could be a carbeurator issue or else a clogged fuel line or fuel filter, or possibly lack of air. I looked through the owners manual and there is no mention of a fuel filter. Is there a fuel filter on these bikes? What could possibly be the problem?

thats crazy. i have no idea if youve already checked the obvious. but it definately happened just after you refueled???

Check the vent in the cap.

Could also be really bad gas, it really does happen.

No external fuel filter.

Try petcock on prime.

Do DRZs in Utah have the EPA-derived charcoal cannister? All our Calif-model bikes have them but I'm not sure about other states.

It's a common issue on any bike with a charcoal cannister to have problems with the fuel overflow messin' with the charcoal cannister if you overfill the tank. And this problem normally rears its ugly head immediately after filling the tank.

That's why most of the charcoal cannisters mysteriously "fall off" at some point. :thumbsup:

Mine does have the charcoal canister on it. And I did fill the tank completely full. How do I go about removing this canister? Do I really need it?

the petcock has 3 settings: on, res, and prime in the prime mode fuels flows irrespective of the vacuum that is required on S models in on and res

Mine does have the charcoal canister on it. And I did fill the tank completely full. How do I go about removing this canister? Do I really need it?

Dump the canister first...

Are you absolutely sure that you didn't accidently fill up with diesel fuel?

If you did, the mix of gas and diesel would cause exactly what you are describing.

Water in the floatbowl will also cause the same behavior. (Trust me, I know from experience.)

:thumbsup:

Start by draining the floatbowl.

Didn't think of the charcoal cannister since you weren't from cali. That is most likely going to be your problem :thumbsup:

Well I removed the canister this morning and rode my bike to work and back. It ran great! No problems now. Thanks for your guys help!

When you took that canister off, make sure you still have a vent hose running from the tank vent (on the underside of the tank, not down by the petcock) down to a spot below the carb (where all the vents from the carb run to. You can't see the vent hose with the stock tank, but it is there and needs to vent down there in an appropriate spot.

Also, make sure you capped off that vacuum fitting on the front of the carb our you will suck dirt into the motor.